• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished minute machine

I haven't seen one in the exchange. One was on ebay 2 years ago. It was on thete for awhile. But I remember it be like 12k crazy

Only chiming in because I was tagged...

Yes I firmly stand behind my earlier statements; one should not consider collectibles investments; there are many many better investment opportunities with better return available. Collect because you have a passion for the product; if it increases in value and you sell it, you've lucked out. But it's a fickle market and what's hot today may be cool tomorrow. You'd be well advised to trust the wisdom of your elders on this one... ;)

Watches in particular are tricky, in comparison to sunglasses - they gather and show wear more easily and have complicated mechanical parts that can break. And conventional wisdom in the broader watch world is that Oakley watches are overpriced for their components; too much value is being assumed for the styling. Even the high quality Valjoux 7750 movement in the FMJ doesn't normally even come close to demanding a $9K MSRP... In general Oakley watches resell for less than MSRP; compare that to a beat up unboxed R1 reselling for twice original MSRP...

But I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade - Oakley watches are awesome and if that's what you want to spend your money on, go for it. Just realize that if you're motivated by the investment potential, you're kidding yourself... :D

Speaking of carbon watches, here's a pic of a prototype TAG Heuer with carbon case and dial from another thread, if you're interested:

WATCH This! | Page 15 | Oakley Forum

Back