• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished Romeo?

bbell6

Oakley Beginner
How difficult is it to find a pair polished Romeos and how much should I expect to pay? Not needing box or paperwork. Just glasses for every day wear. Original oakley lenses not a necessity either.

Better off creating than finding my friend, but if you want a pair without doing the leg work yourself I would expect to pay at least 1k

I like this idea. Create what you seek and appreciate it more. Grab any $500 frame and a $40 dremel tool at Costco. Pick out your favorite color lenses on eBay and do it. Gaskets seem to be way more obtainable now so really labor/elbow grease seems to be the major cost factor that can be managed.

Anybody can do polished.

550943_318423428232685_100001950925970_708972_923776204_n.jpg

386480_237129749695387_100001950925970_530029_403574244_n.jpg

I did have a genuine factory made polished gen 1 Romeo and it is the only pair I have ever known. I had the pair stolen from me a few years back and is in fact my biggest Oakley upset along with the theft at the same time of the X Metal - Emerald Mars in pristine with serial matching the box. (a few others taken but all replaced with same or better quality examples). How can you value the 'real' polished Romeo? It is in the 'copper' league. It had no serial, a genuine example, made by Oakley. It does amaze me how either a x metal, plasma, or titanium original can be converted by a third party into a polished frame and be of interest to a collector who could pay a hefty sum for it. To me such a pair was at one time an original, how 'Oakley' made it, with the box, with serial number matching the label, and with all the contents. Now the box and contents are no longer relevant to the 'custom' pair and you are left with an original that has been destroyed. For me, worthless. I am not knocking anyone for doing it, or buying one, I accept people enjoy custom pairs. I just cannot get away from the mind set that a pair of Oakley should be as 'they' produced it, a third party altering it in some way is somebody putting their own signature on it, and altering what Oakley did.

Worthless to you huh Romeo. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Im sure I could get more than $0 for these? Custom pairs like this and any other metal are a part of just about everyone's collection nowadays. No disrespect to you or your collection, but you make yourself sound like you're too good to own something that is not original OEM.
Romeopolished2.jpg

What are you guys using to polish your frames?
A polishing wheel and compound? What compound?

I have two polished Juliets that could use some "brightening"...

Worthless to you huh Romeo. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Im sure I could get more than $0 for these? Custom pairs like this and any other metal are a part of just about everyone's collection nowadays. No disrespect to you or your collection, but you make yourself sound like you're too good to own something that is not original OEM.
Romeopolished2.jpg

BUMP!!!!!! Customs will be the next gen of the old X metal line!!!!

photo1-3.jpg

I did have a genuine factory made polished gen 1 Romeo and it is the only pair I have ever known. I had the pair stolen from me a few years back and is in fact my biggest Oakley upset along with the theft at the same time of the X Metal - Emerald Mars in pristine with serial matching the box. (a few others taken but all replaced with same or better quality examples). How can you value the 'real' polished Romeo? It is in the 'copper' league. It had no serial, a genuine example, made by Oakley. It does amaze me how either a x metal, plasma, or titanium original can be converted by a third party into a polished frame and be of interest to a collector who could pay a hefty sum for it. To me such a pair was at one time an original, how 'Oakley' made it, with the box, with serial number matching the label, and with all the contents. Now the box and contents are no longer relevant to the 'custom' pair and you are left with an original that has been destroyed. For me, worthless. I am not knocking anyone for doing it, or buying one, I accept people enjoy custom pairs. I just cannot get away from the mind set that a pair of Oakley should be as 'they' produced it, a third party altering it in some way is somebody putting their own signature on it, and altering what Oakley did.

i guess it is to each their own. some like yourself like the factory releases but oakley does release a lot of bland ho hum color combos that i suspect most would just shrug their shoulders at rather than being excited at. i much rather see a bland combo turn into an awesome combo by custom hydroprinting and polishing than stay the same. but as i say to each their own. if you are the type to like the factory release no matter how boring then kudos to you and enjoy what you collect. similarly I wish the best to those who make the boring stuff more exciting thru customization.

but besides that some of the more pro customizers are starting to use the same coating and chroming techniques as oakley uses so you will not be able to tell the difference in the near future. some will list their stuff as coming from the factory rather than customized and none will be the wiser. this will eventually drag the value of real factory customs down.

Back