• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished X Metal maintenance

Spc369

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
uk
Having not seen a mint in the box polished x metal, does the finish deteriorate / dull with use over time?
Is there any light polishing / cutting required to maintain the look. Is so whats recommended?

The two used pairs i have are of similar quality finish but dont know if it could be better / improved. Tia

Thanks for the replies. Will an 8000 pad be the final finish or is there a final liquid / compound rub?

We use up to 3000 in work and finish with a 3m polish but thats for grp gelcoat finish /boats. Is 8000 so fine it doesent req anything further?

Ah yes i know it thanks. I can get mine looking their best now cheers.:cool-33:

Micromesh.com
8000 grit pads
Around the edges of the orbitals it almost looks like pitting of the metal, or at least seems that way from the photo. Haven't seen any other pairs with something like this, from a buyer's perspective am I better to steer clear of these as I'm gonna need to shell out on a few hookers to give them a serious rub down to get back in a nice shine like the top of the orbitals?

g30 polished.jpg

Around the edges of the orbitals it almost looks like pitting of the metal, or at least seems that way from the photo. Haven't seen any other pairs with something like this, from a buyer's perspective am I better to steer clear of these as I'm gonna need to shell out on a few hookers to give them a serious rub down to get back in a nice shine like the top of the orbitals?

View attachment 558880
What you see as ‘pitting’ is actually the original finish of the glasses as they will be an early release. This finish is due to the sand casting method and gave the frames these unique qualities.

Back