• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polishing O Matter Frames, Tips And Tricks

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
We've had a few people mention using certain products before and I'm going back trying to find different posts and having a rough go at it. I was hoping we could centralize our experiences with working on O Matter frames and getting them back up to snuff.

I have a Black Ink frame that came in from eBay in decent shape, but there's heavy scuffing on the top and bottom of the orbitals that ruins the clean look of the ink frame. I'd like to remove these marks and get the frame back to tip-top shape.

Post your experiences!

1. What frame are you working on (color, crystal, model, etc)?
2. What product do you use?
3. What application methods have you tried?
4. What results have you gotten? (before and after pics would be great)

Did you have to do the whole frame to get a uniform look, or were you able to touch up certain spots?

Here are the pictures of a Jet Black frame. I sold that pair and can not make more pictures.
Polished with a set of nail buffers.

I always thought the Black Ink finish was paint not just shiny black plastic. If so, no matter what you do it will ruin the finish. If the Black Ink is just another name for Polished Black then it's just shiny plastic and it can be removed with careful sanding and a plastic polish like Dr Chop mentioned.

I use Meguiar's PlastX with great results on my plastic, non-painted O-matter frames. I had a pretty scuffed up Straight Jacket which needed some work and all I used was the PlastX and it's like new. I even used it on the matte black part on the arms and it's just as shiny as the arms. Not sure if it was matte painted and I just polished the paint but it's as shiny as the plastic.

Black Ink is a cross between crystal black and polished black. It's somewhat transparent, so I doubt it's a painted finish.

What do you use with the PlastX? Just a cloth, or do you need something else? If I can get an $8 bottle of scuff-b-gone I'm in.

Anyone try clearing up marks on the Oakley towers with this stuff, or something similar?

Lets get specific!

"I used X with a normal towel to remove X kind of marks from X frame, which was a matte black and I turned it into a polished black" for example.

Black Ink is a cross between crystal black and polished black. It's somewhat transparent, so I doubt it's a painted finish.

What do you use with the PlastX? Just a cloth, or do you need something else? If I can get an $8 bottle of scuff-b-gone I'm in.

Anyone try clearing up marks on the Oakley towers with this stuff, or something similar?

Lets get specific!

"I used X with a normal towel to remove X kind of marks from X frame, which was a matte black and I turned it into a polished black" for example.

"I used Meguiar's PlastiX with a Scott Shop Towel to remove friction and non-fingernail stopping scratches from 2007+ Polished Black Straight Jacket."

I had found this thread a few days ago and have been able to do some polishing from it's pointers. I used some automotive rubbing compound and 1500 wet sanding paper. To finish I used a swirl mark polishing remover to get the final glaze. I was very happy with the results they could use a little more work but they will get daily use. I would like to get some 2000 grit and get some better results. on a couple of spots.
I took this group of before and after shots on a pair of five 3.0. I plan on doing my wifes hijinx this weekend since I got them used and they were ruff to begin with.

before
2013-02-28_22-06-53_264_zps5a052fda.jpg

after
2013-03-01_20-52-55_810_zps4abfc7b9.jpg

before
2013-02-28_22-06-12_576_zps05320ce7.jpg

after
2013-03-01_20-52-21_792_zps5d5c4ff1.jpg

before
2013-02-28_22-04-17_589_zps8fc3eb75.jpg

after
2013-03-01_20-51-39_732_zps5de038b5.jpg

I had been wondering lately as to what I might be able to do with the frames Glad I found this thread.
I take some shots of the hijinx frames as I do those as well. I forgot to mention that the products I used were 3m. With a mini blue piont rubbing wheel.

Thank you for your before & after pictures. Well done :thumb:

Back