• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polishing Or Brushing A Titanium Wire Frame

350nick

Oakley Expert
I have the possibility of buying a titanium wire frame but the original finish is in very poor condition.

I was wondering if it is a viable option to buy the frame (cheap obviously) and either polish it or go for

a brushed effect in the bare metal. I have a dremel etc which I imagine could be used.

I was just wanting to check that I can successfully get a good finish so I don't waste my time/money

on these frames.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm a lover of the older wire frames, especially titanium models. I've always wondered if they could be easily customized or re-finished. I'm very curious to hear if anyone has attempted anything like this.

It seems like you could sand them down and paint them to whatever color you wanted, as long as you prep the frame real good and use a quality paint. I'm too chicken to try it myself though.

I successfully used fine wet&dry then a dremel with polishing end on a pair of vintage e wires that were not in the best state. Decided the e wires weren't for me though!

I'm just not 100% sure it would work so easily with titanium.

I know a local blaster/powder coater but not sure if that would be too thick.

I think polished or brushed might look good!

I'm thinking I might give it a go! Maybe polish 1st then try brushed if I find polished too flashy!

I've got some brand new white earsocks too which I acquired cheaply, could put them to use.

Would be good to hear from someone who's done it though.

I used to work as a finisher for engineered parts - Rolls Royce TI jet engine hubs and the like.. Polishing should work, but will be hard work.

My friend is now an engineer for Gatan UK, a company that makes microscopes.. He can get some pretty amazing finishes, including bead palsting and gold plating.

Be good to see your results :)

Well I decided against this. The frames were ti crosshairs but with shipping from the US I didn't think the cost was justified. Especially after new lenses as well.

Got a good deal on the new ti crosshairs in titanium/tungsten polarized instead.

Latest Posts

Back