• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

POLL - What to call the new "x-metals"?

What to call the new "x-metals"?

• Total voters

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Love 'em or hate 'em, the new madman and badman have been getting a lot of attention. A large part of the controversy has been due to Oakley's decision to call these things "x-metals", which truly they are not.

Some people, including me, have been coming up with nicknames to call these that differentiates them from "real" x-metals. I think it'd be good for the forum to come to an informal consensus on what to call these, and then voluntarily follow it (though there's always some dissenters...)

Here's the nominees:

neXt-metals - originally coined by me, so far enthusiastically taken up by MJLSr and some others
faux-metals - coined by digi7alph0enix
o-metals - coined by slasher32, I actually like this one better than my "neXt-metals"; simple yet descriptive...
not-metals
new-metals
other-metals

Please vote for your favorite. If you have another one to nominate, please post it. To get it added to the poll, I ask that it follow these guidelines:

- be concise: it should be something quick and simple to type.
- be descriptive: something that captures the difference between these and "real" x-metals.
- not be too derogatory: a little critical is fine but something like "crap-metals" is a bit too much.
- must contain the word "metal" so that we don't get so far away from the original name that people will have a hard time understanding what it being referenced.

However, if you want to post things outside of the above criteria as a joke, feel free. Movie sequel title ripoffs are a good source, such as:

x-metals: Part Deux
x-metals: The Desolation of Smaug
x-metals: Attack of the Clones

Thanks!

EDIT - added:
less-metals
nu-metals

Last edited:
XO-Luminum or XO-Wires

That's what they really are. They're Wire frames with O-Matter. Or O-Lumimum frames with O-Matter. The word "metal" doesn't belong in the name AT ALL as the materials are more akin to Wires or the old O-Luminum line.

A more derogatory name would be PlasticX

neXt-metals, all the way!!!

Down with the Republicans!

Cast your vote!

United with O we stand!

sorry ...

got carried away ...

XO-Luminum or XO-Wires

That's what they really are. They're Wire frames with O-Matter. Or O-Lumimum frames with O-Matter. The word "metal" doesn't belong in the name AT ALL as the materials are more akin to Wires or the old O-Luminum line.

A more derogatory name would be PlasticX
That's silly! That's like saying the Metal T shirts they released around the holidays should not be called Metal T shirts because they are not made of metal.

My take on calling them X Metal is due to the fact that it is a frame style/concept, more than what they are made out of. I think this is what Brian Takumi referenced as well during the NYC Collector's event.

We can all agree or disagree and it sparks good conversation/debate. Whether we like it or not.....Oakley calls them X Metal.

Back