• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

POLL - What to call the new "x-metals"?

What to call the new "x-metals"?

• Total voters
That's silly! That's like saying the Metal T shirts they released around the holidays should not be called Metal T shirts because they are not made of metal.

My take on calling them X Metal is due to the fact that it is a frame style/concept, more than what they are made out of. I think this is what Brian Takumi referenced as well during the NYC Collector's event.

We can all agree or disagree and it sparks good conversation/debate. Whether we like it or not.....Oakley calls them X Metal.

Wholeheartedly disagree- the "X-Metal" is EXACTLY due to WHAT ITS MADE OF. The company can CLAIM it's not now that they've torpedoed the line simply because they couldn't ship the manufacturing overseas, but the phrase "X-Metal" is ALL about the material used- and they're NOT using that. I could agree with you that use of the word Metal is appropriate as that's technically what is being used, but not preceded by an X because there's nothing "X" or "skunk works" like about the metal they're using.

I'm down with neXt-Metals, its a cool name and if @kronin323 can embrace these new X-Metals they can't be all that bad. Sometimes Change is a good thing. Oakley has been stagnant for a little while now and lately the new stuff has been somewhat refreshing. The old Metals will never be again. Just a fact. Change, though hard to accept, is inevitable

X-METALmorphosis or Splice-X.
I think Oakley is trying to give X-metal it's own brand ala Jumpman off Nike but correct me if I am wrong, the X-metal logo or nomenclature is nowhere to be found on the box, packaging or on the frame. Damn, I miss those coins too.

Wholeheartedly disagree- the "X-Metal" is EXACTLY due to WHAT ITS MADE OF. The company can CLAIM it's not now that they've torpedoed the line simply because they couldn't ship the manufacturing overseas, but the phrase "X-Metal" is ALL about the material used- and they're NOT using that. I could agree with you that use of the word Metal is appropriate as that's technically what is being used, but not preceded by an X because there's nothing "X" or "skunk works" like about the metal they're using.
It's their company, their product.

It would be like telling Dodge they can't use Dart, Charger, or Challenger. They discontinued the models and brought them back decades later as new cars without much connection from the old ones aside from the name.

Or when a band puts out a new album and people reject it, calling it sellout, or a different sound, not the same band, whatever.

I get that people are a bit upset, but you've got people like me that owned a bunch of X-Metals and didn't really care for them. They didn't fit my head, and it felt like I was going to tear them apart when I wore them. Or they were going to crush my skull. Or they were going to fall off since they had no flex to hold on.

Thanks for the feedback so far. And I want to clarify, though there are haters out there, the intent of the nickname is merely to informally differentiate, not judge (more or less).

I do think I need to add one more guideline for inclusion in the poll - must contain the word "metal". This is merely to avoid getting so far away from the original name that nobody can figure out what's being talked about. They ain't Ti, but aluminum is still a metal.

My take on calling them X Metal is due to the fact that it is a frame style/concept, more than what they are made out of. I think this is what Brian Takumi referenced as well during the NYC Collector's event.

On this one I have to side with ucdavis; calling x-metal a frame style/concept is a bit of retconning, regardless of who may be toting the party line. X-metals were created out of a desire to have the sort of sculpted frame possible with o-matter but made out of metal, only without the weight penalty. The alloy they came up with to do this they called "x-metal", just as they name all their other proprietary materials. Frames made out of x-metal at the plant created to make them were called x-metals. And the design philosophy behind them was called slogging and wasn't exclusive to x-metals.

Had it truly been merely a frame style/concept the entire time, most of the mag line would have been x-metals. I don't really agree that the o-luminum and wire frames fit in that category, though, except for the Hatchet Wires.

But yes, Oakley calls them x-metals and that's a done deal; it won't change. This isn't to gripe or criticize but merely to differentiate in informal references.

Latest Posts

Back