• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

POLL - What to call the new "x-metals"?

What to call the new "x-metals"?

• Total voters
They're, uh, X-Metals.

I think people are making a big deal out of this.
This. They're x-metals because Oakley chose to call them that. We might not like it, but they did.

With a range of two, I tend just to think of them as Madman and Badman rather than needing a collective banner. As (as seems likely) the range expands, it might need one but it's easy enough to make the mental distinction right now.

K seriously you guys are stupid if you think these aren't X Metals. If ferrari came out with a car that you didn't like, would you say it isn't a ferrari? It's a "fauxrarri" like honestly you are dumb.
Interesting analogy. There was a time when a Ferrari without a V12 wasn't a Ferrari, it was a Dino. 206/246 GT, 308 GT4. Over time they have become fully accepted into the Ferrari fold, some going as far as to give them Ferrari badging rather than the Dino badges they came with.

Dinos are accepted as fully fledged Ferraris. Might we not end up accepting these in the same way over time? Are we just in the first two stages of the Kübler-Ross model - denial>anger? Might we end up at the final stage, acceptance?

Might we not end up accepting these in the same way over time?
There are plenty of folks who are new to 'Metals', X, neXt, or otherwise - they have already accepted them as there is nothing for them to consider in comparison.

However, I think the Ferrari/Dino comparison is like asking if the Madman and Badman will be considered 'Oakley'? Of course they will be, they are...

Now is that Dino, say a GTB/GTS in the same class as an F40? a BB? a Testarossa?
Of course they are not - they are not meant to be. They are very different cars made of very different materials.

So yeah,
they are both cars (sunglasses)
they are both Ferrari's (Oakley's)
but they are not in the same class - that race isn't even close :car:

Denial>Anger>Acceptence. Summed that up pretty much. Life for many has been an emotional rollcoaster since 2012. Can't blame us, we, me and the many from hastily disowning, wearing, buying, flipping, hating, renaming, collecting, custom cutting and such.

I personally dont care for any X-Metal made after 2009 or anything made in 2008. IMO

However, I think the Ferrari/Dino comparison is like asking if the Madman and Badman will be considered 'Oakley'? Of course they will be, they are...

It's really not. It's asking if one group of a manufacturer's products can be compared, favourably or otherwise, to another group. There would have been no point in asking the other question - the answer, as you say, is obvious.

Now is that Dino, say a GTB/GTS in the same class as an F40? a BB? a Testarossa?

Are they all in the class of mid-engined sports cars? Yes they are. Are they as fast as an F40? No, but that's not germane to the discussion at all, is it?

Of course they are not - they are not meant to be. They are very different cars made of very different materials.

Different cars made of much the same materials really. "Very different materials" fits the sunglasses, sure, but it's a stretch in this analogy.

So yeah,
they are both cars (sunglasses)
they are both Ferrari's (Oakley's)
but they are not in the same class - that race isn't even close :car:

It's not a race...

I get your point and in large part I agree with it - I own a load of Juliets and 0 of the new metals. I don't have much interest in owning Madman or Badman either - for a long time I have been saying that my interest in them has been primarily in Badman as a source for Juliet sapphire custom cuts. I too think the original x-metals are better than these new sunglasses.

But I get that others may see it differently, they can be excited about these and, in the end, Oakley has chosen to use "x-metal" in relation to them. We don't need to buy that line and we definitely don't need to buy the sunglasses - that doesn't stop it from being out there.

Guys I really didn't mean this thread to be a soapbox on whether or not these are x-metals. It was just meant to provide a consensus on what to informally call them, for those who want to differentiate.

Was also hoping for more joking suggestions, for the amusement of the Greater Audience... o_O

Guys I really didn't mean this thread to be a soapbox on whether or not these are x-metals. It was just meant to provide a consensus on what to informally call them, for those who want to differentiate.

Was also hoping for more joking suggestions, for the amusement of the Greater Audience... o_O
It's obviously a touchy subject for some. I feel lucky that we've got these new badman and madman at all. Everyone has their opinion but the new glasses are lovely in my opinion and no other manufacturer has anything close. At least oakley are still making stunning sunglasses and that's all that's important

Latest Posts

Back