• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polycarbonate or Nylon?

Which material do you prefer? (See Comparison Info Below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seek Optics

Oakley Enthusiast
Hello OakleyForum,

We have been doing a bit of research for our new product line and would like to know your point of view! All our aftermarket lens competitors are manufacturing their top quality line in polycarbonate but we have been considering Nylon for our top line. We would appreciate your view on this topic so we can make the best choice for our customers! If we were to put out a Nylon line it would be more expensive than the polycarbonate but still affordable and much less expensive than an Oakley Prizm lens.

Here is the information we have put together for our decision making:

Some PROS of Polycarbonate
  • Super Impact Resistance
  • Lightweight
  • Built-in UV blocker

Some CONS of Polycarbonate
  • Low ABBE Value - 30 (see below)
  • Older Technology (from 1970)
  • Not the best choice for Metal and acetate frames (can distort frame)

Some PROS of Nylon
  • Super UV-Resistant
  • Newer Technology that combines the impact resistance of Polycarbonate and the clarify of CR-39
  • Super Lightweight
  • High Abbe Value – 52 (see below)
  • Perfect for all frame materials (will not distort frame)
  • Chemical Resistant
Some CONS of Nylon
  • Slightly Less impact resistance than Polycarbonate but still ANSI Z87.1 Rated
  • More expensive (x2 or x3) than Polycarbonate

OPTICAL CLARITY INFO:

Polycarbonate = 30 Abbe Value
Nylon = 52 Abbe Value

Abbe Value describes the amount of chromatic aberration (distortion) of an ophthalmic lens material. Chromatic aberration is when white light is broken up into component colors. A low value means more distortion.

IMPACT RESISTANCE INFO:

Both materials are produced with injections molding and are shatterproof. Both materials are ANSI Z87.1 rated.

Let me know what you think! Any feedback is welcome!

but still affordable and much less expensive than an Oakley Prizm lens.

I'd like to buy into this statement...considering most pc lenses are in the $30-$40 bucket, I'm guessing that'd be in the $60 - $80 zone, which is dangerously close to OEM pricing. What could work, in this case, is uncommon lens tints and shades that are not available as OEM options for all models (OO Blue, Gold Iridium, Emerald, G26, G30, VR28, VR28BI, Shallow Blue, Maritime....to name just a few). There would be takers for such lenses at that price point.

I'd go to the extent of suggesting you to skip the usual/most common 3rd party lens tints entirely. Almost any lens manufacturer has a lineup of Iridium lenses in Blue, Red, Green, 24k Gold, Chrome and BIack mirror tints. It's the uncommon ones that'll set you apart.

I'd like to buy into this statement...considering most pc lenses are in the $30-$40 bucket, I'm guessing that'd be in the $60 - $80 zone, which is dangerously close to OEM pricing. What could work, in this case, is uncommon lens tints and shades that are not available as OEM options for all models (OO Blue, Gold Iridium, Emerald, G26, G30, VR28, VR28BI, Shallow Blue, Maritime....to name just a few). There would be takers for such lenses at that price point.

I'd go to the extent of suggesting you to skip the usual/most common 3rd party lens tints entirely. Almost any lens manufacturer has a lineup of Iridium lenses in Blue, Red, Green, 24k Gold, Chrome and BIack mirror tints. It's the uncommon ones that'll set you apart.
Amazing feedback. Thank you! We are a small company and try to keep our overhead low so we can pass our saving onto the customer. We are already looking into Matte Color lenses and will definitely keep your advise about the variations of color in mind! The responses we are receiving are really pushing us towards Nylon even if it is a bigger investment for us. Keep it coming! :)

Amazing feedback. Thank you! We are a small company and try to keep our overhead low so we can pass our saving onto the customer. We are already looking into Matte Color lenses and will definitely keep your advise about the variations of color in mind! The responses we are receiving are really pushing us towards Nylon even if it is a bigger investment for us. Keep it coming! :)

If you can make a quality matte lens, that is affordable and 8.75 BC - you will have many happy collectors here.

@Seek Optics are there any brands that offer nylon lenses currently?

RB offers Nylon lenses as OEM on some of their sunglasses. Oh, and Xiaomi (yes, the Chinese smartphone brand) has a few polarized sunglasses with Nylon lenses under their Mijia sub-brand.

Last edited:
Back