• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Precision machined spinning tops...the latest trend!

I saw a video on these a little while back, a guy did a tabletop on a few of his and talked about the recent popularity.

I don't get it. Well, no, I get the tops and the craftsmanship, the materials, the spin times, the collectability and whatnot. What I don't get is how this factors into "EDC" at all.

I've noticed a lot of talk of "EDC" in the last few years, and to me it pretty much meant the things you carry daily as being prepared for what life throws at you. A pen that might double as a kubotan, wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, multitool, knife, pistol, etc.

I don't see how a top fits into that. I might get one to play with at home or at work, but I wouldn't keep it in my pocket where something of utility would be ousted. I have a hard enough time finding pocket space in simple 4 pocket khakis for all of my junk.

My understanding of EDC is a bit broader; it merely means the things you carry on you every day. Utility is a plus, but not a requirement. Since us guys are into functional stuff, little doohickeys that can do multiple things are popular, especially if they include some aesthetic appeal, but that doesn't mean the definition is limited to such items. If you carry something every day with the only purpose of entertainment, it's still EDC.

And, I guess you could always curl it in your fist with the spindle sticking out between your knuckles and punch somebody in the face. Sure, there are other items better suited for the purpose, but that's true with a lot of EDC gizmos...

My understanding of EDC is a bit broader; it merely means the things you carry on you every day. Utility is a plus, but not a requirement. Since us guys are into functional stuff, little doohickeys that can do multiple things are popular, especially if they include some aesthetic appeal, but that doesn't mean the definition is limited to such items. If you carry something every day with the only purpose of entertainment, it's still EDC.

And, I guess you could always curl it in your fist with the spindle sticking out between your knuckles and punch somebody in the face. Sure, there are other items better suited for the purpose, but that's true with a lot of EDC gizmos...
Damn. I didn't think of buying one till now. Now I need one just to knock a hole in someone's forehead. My pen used to be good enough.

Damn. I didn't think of buying one till now. Now I need one just to knock a hole in someone's forehead. My pen used to be good enough.

That's funny; I was originally gonna write "punch somebody in the forehead" but changed it to "face", anticipating objections that forehead-punching is probably the worst place (for your fist at least) to punch somebody... :D

That's funny; I was originally gonna write "punch somebody in the forehead" but changed it to "face", anticipating objections that forehead-punching is probably the worst place (for your fist at least) to punch somebody... :D
Not when there's a nice pointy object you're using. :rolleyes:

What has the resell value on these things been like?

That navigator's quite interesting, and since he's selling it as an indiegogo project to raise funds to repair his CNC machine, a purchase does more to support the business than just add margin.

The SS/Cu/SS looks like the best, but one can see many, many more of them have been claimed than the other colorways, and it doesn't sound like he plans to produce much more of this model beyond what's claimed in the campaign.

I'm not interesting in flipping / scalping stuff, but if I pick one up and somewhere down the road decide to move it, do you think a more rare colorway will have significant impact on value compared to the larger number of SS/Cu/SS? Or will the entire production run be rare enough as-is that which colorway matters little? Or do these things not really appreciate much in comparison to those made of exotic materials, so it's a moot point?

(and don't tell me to get both; that's cutting into my Oakley funds... o_O)
Resale values all depend the maker, materials used, popularity, limited numbers produced and performance (and of course condition).

The Navigator is going to be a mass produced model, so rarity is not a factor. If you look at the trend of material combos purchased, the ss/cu/ss is the best seller by far. I chose the ss/cu/ss because of the look and because it was the heaviest combo of all the choices. Normally, a heavier top will yield longer spin times.

Rich has mentioned a couple "special" models will be made for the Navigator, but he recently said maybe not. The consensus was that the materials were going to be more exotic than the mass combos....maybe Damascus, Timascus, Mokuti, Mokume, etc..

Eventually, after all the Navigators are sold out and Rich cuts production, they will probably increase in value, but not so much as his earlier limited models. Some of his earlier runs like the Kraken were produced in small, limited quantities...thus they fetch an average of $500-$600 when resold. The original price was something like $150-$160 shipped.

All in all, you'd really have to tune in to the chatter and follow what's happening to be fully in touch with market values and fluctuations.

I was never a big EDC guy. I carried a small multitool for random usage, and because that incorporated a knife and basic tools I never felt the need to carry anything else.

My view on EDC originally was as Rustpot stated, items for purpose usage to aid in emergencies and/or the like. Now it's apparently morphed into almost anything...blades, tops, handkerchiefs, worry coin/stone, flashlights, pry bars, and other things.

I've always been interested in blades, but never bothered to purchase any. Now that I've fallen off the deep end with the tops, I'm actively hunting for my first custom/mid-tech blade. It's a dark, deep hole that'll suck you in quick, lol.

Resale values all depend the maker, materials used, popularity, limited numbers produced and performance (and of course condition).

The Navigator is going to be a mass produced model, so rarity is not a factor. If you look at the trend of material combos purchased, the ss/cu/ss is the best seller by far. I chose the ss/cu/ss because of the look and because it was the heaviest combo of all the choices. Normally, a heavier top will yield longer spin times.

Rich has mentioned a couple "special" models will be made for the Navigator, but he recently said maybe not. The consensus was that the materials were going to be more exotic than the mass combos....maybe Damascus, Timascus, Mokuti, Mokume, etc..

Eventually, after all the Navigators are sold out and Rich cuts production, they will probably increase in value, but not so much as his earlier limited models. Some of his earlier runs like the Kraken were produced in small, limited quantities...thus they fetch an average of $500-$600 when resold. The original price was something like $150-$160 shipped.

All in all, you'd really have to tune in to the chatter and follow what's happening to be fully in touch with market values and fluctuations.

Thanks. Since at this point I'm only interested in the Navigator (though I did just buy a Lambda from Prometheus), my takeaway from that is it doesn't matter which colorway Navigator I get, as far as future value goes.

Thanks. Since at this point I'm only interested in the Navigator (though I did just buy a Lambda from Prometheus), my takeaway from that is it doesn't matter which colorway Navigator I get, as far as future value goes.
Nice! I haven't picked up a Lamda....yet. But that's the go to top for those looking for their first intro piece.

I think, the least purchased color combo may eventually be worth a little more in the long run, just for the fact less pieces would be produced from the run. SS pieces will probably be the easiest to sell due to their durability compared to brass and copper. I wish he had an all SS version, I would've picked that up in a heartbeat.

Nice! I haven't picked up a Lamda....yet. But that's the go to top for those looking for their first intro piece.

I think, the least purchased color combo may eventually be worth a little more in the long run, just for the fact less pieces would be produced from the run. SS pieces will probably be the easiest to sell due to their durability compared to brass and copper. I wish he had an all SS version, I would've picked that up in a heartbeat.

Yeah it was relatively reasonably priced, and in-stock. His currently available one is all brass instead of brass / aluminum, which should make it more precise as it's a single machined piece, but the lack of aluminum raised the center of gravity so he drilled a hole through the spindle. It not only put the COG into the sweet spot, but if you get the ruby contact point you can see through the hole to the ruby, which looks pretty cool. This shot was taken from the spindle-side looking through, not from the base...

lambdaruby.png

I also might get one of his Beta-QRv2 keychain flashlights in copper; like how it'll patina and the high CRI of its Nichia 219 LED, better than my existing flashlights. But I'm passing on the Alpha; nice but too pricey and I already have too many other flashlights that do the trick...

Yeah it was relatively reasonably priced, and in-stock. His currently available one is all brass instead of brass / aluminum, which should make it more precise as it's a single machined piece, but the lack of aluminum raised the center of gravity so he drilled a hole through the spindle. It not only put the COG into the sweet spot, but if you get the ruby contact point you can see through the hole to the ruby, which looks pretty cool. This shot was taken from the spindle-side looking through, not from the base...

View attachment 228399

I also might get one of his Beta-QRv2 keychain flashlights in copper; like how it'll patina and the high CRI of its Nichia 219 LED, better than my existing flashlights. But I'm passing on the Alpha; nice but too pricey and I already have too many other flashlights that do the trick...
I was looking at the Lambda for my first top, but passed because I wanted the Tungsten version and it was long gone. You nailed it with the Brass version supposedly being the best balanced because of its one piece design. It may not break any spin time records, but it should spin stable and motionless. Be mindful not to drop your Lambda from too high as your crank your spins, the ruby, although very hard can crack. Once you loose the bearing it's over. You might be able to poke it out due to the stem being hollowed, and press fit another bearing in, but that's a pain you'd want to avoid. Also, for better spin times and to keep your top in one area, I'd recommend buying a cheap 3x-5x magnification makeup mirror for your spinning surface. The concave due to the magnification will help settle your top quicker and the glass surface gives it a more frictionless point of contact.

Those Prometheus lights are nice and tempting, but the top thing is my priority right now, haha. Maybe down the line I'll break down and grab one of his lights.

Back