• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription lenses above the strength that you can purchase on Oakley.com

Hi, new to the forum and looking for suggestions on where to get lenses made for a large astigmatism prescription for Flak 2.0 or Flak Draft frames. My cylinder is pretty high at -5.00 so it's outside of what Oakley will do which means I need to find a lab that will make them at that correction. The place I used previously with my Flak Jacket XLJs and Flak 2.0 XLs has apparently gone out of business which sucks because they did a great job. Ideally I'd also like to get them as progressive lenses. It sounds like @Chris A Hardaway may have some good info? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, I would never recommend a wrap around pair of sunglasses with that much cylinder. I'm sorry for the short answer. If Oakley only goes up to 3.00 I might be okay with a 3.50, but I'm sorry to say I can't help you here. Other RXs feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the quick reply. Kills me that my old place isn't in business anymore as they made fantastic lenses for my prescription.

Thanks for the quick reply. Kills me that my old place isn't in business anymore as they made fantastic lenses for my prescription.
That's certainly too bad. But did you actually have your RX in an 8 base curve wrap around?! Most people couldn't tolerate that RX in above a 4-6 base curve, like a "Chainlink" Frogskin, or even a "Two Face" styled frame.

That's certainly too bad. But did you actually have your RX in an 8 base curve wrap around?! Most people couldn't tolerate that RX in above a 4-6 base curve, like a "Chainlink" Frogskin, or even a "Two Face" styled frame.
Yeah, they were Flak 2.0 frames and the prescription lenses were the exact same shape and color as the included lenses. They were, however, pretty thick at the edges. But the edges were polished so didn't look bad at all. I was concerned I'd notice some distortion but I never really noticed any. They were single vision though, not progressive. Unfortunately I lost them about a week ago and would love to get them replaced. Salt City Optics was who made them the first time but they've apparently gone under.

This looks like a good thread to ask; what's the upper limit for SPH measurements in base 8 prescription lenses? The worst my CYL gets is -1.75, but my worst SPH is -3.75 and I have a gut feeling that might be past the tolerances for base 8 curves...

This looks like a good thread to ask; what's the upper limit for SPH measurements in base 8 prescription lenses? The worst my CYL gets is -1.75, but my worst SPH is -3.75 and I have a gut feeling that might be past the tolerances for base 8 curves...
Good question.

Oakley uses total power as setting their limit in what can get genuine Oakley lenses. So it sounds like your -3.75 sphere and -1.75 cylinder are from different eyes... Point being you are under -5.50 total power I'm guessing in your worst eye (-3.75 + -1.75).

Let me know what sunglasses you are considering. I'd say the smaller the better... Also if you're sphere is (-) and your cylinder is (-) then you have more options (non Oakley) if your Axis is between 0-30° or 150-180°. This is called "with the rule astigmatism.

I'm at home now, so I don't have the Rx range charts. But I can tell you yes or no on your favorite frames tomorrow. -4.00 is where many frames Max out with "total power"... But non-Oakley Rx should be able to be done in many frames (if about turbine, gauge 8 L, or double edge, as those are large and will give u thick lenses).

Back