• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription Prizm Lens worth the wait?

Chris Nardone

Oakley Beginner
Hi everyone. I am new here. I am hoping to get an educated guess from the group.

I decided to get a pair of sunglasses for cycling. I don't own any sunglasses at all so I thought I'd get a pair that I could use for regular wear and cycling. basically my wife said she would not want to be seen in public with me wearing Racing Jackets or Radar's. I settled on Fast Jackets.

I got contacts thinking it will give me the option of using different lenses. In the past I never used contacts because they are a PITA. Guess what, I still think they are. So now I am thinking I'll get prescription lenses. I spoke to Oakley Customer Support and they are targeting October to release prescription prisms.

So two questions.
1) Customer support would not comment on if they'll make prescription prisms for Fast Jackets. In the past has Oakley offered prescription lenses for frames that are out of production?

2) Is it worth waiting until October to see if they even offer the prisms for Fast Jackets? Until they announced the prizms, I was thinking about going with OO Red.

I know only I can really answer #2. Thanks for any advice.

cmn

Thanks for the reply. Those are great pictures. I'd say that the new Road look a good bit nicer to me. Any ideas on past handling of Prescription lenses for out of production frames?

I have rx lenses for Juliets (emerald iridium) and split jackets (vr28 black iridium polarized) which are both out of production. for cycling however I usually use rx flak jackets which are transition lenses that go from a light tint to very dark black iridium which works awesome in nearly all lighting conditions (except when the sun has gone all way down). I would not wait for the prizm imo it's not worth the wait and possible won't be a available at all in the frame you want.

I got rx lenses in a pair of hatchets a few years back after they'd been out of production for at least 3 years. I also recall a thread about a pilot on here who recently got rx lenses in his Romeos.

I got rx lenses in a pair of hatchets a few years back after they'd been out of production for at least 3 years. I also recall a thread about a pilot on here who recently got rx lenses in his Romeos.
I think i will get some rx romeo lenses this year. I wonder if oakley will etch x-metal on the lens for me.

i had my optometrist call Oakley to get a price quote and ask about prescription lenses for my new pennys. They said I can choose from 35 different tints (no prizm yet, but 00 Red Iridium Polar was an option) and they can still cut the lenses for that frame. Now I just have to save up a bit. They are extremely expensive

I got tungsten polar for my Romeo 1 a couple years ago, well worth it. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to offer prizm rx in a fast jacket.

OP here. As I've always wore prescription glasses, I've never actually known my prescription (Yes, it is kind of embarrassing). Now that I have my prescription, I called oakley. they can't do my prescription for Fast Jackets at all. Sigh. I should have properly done my homework before buying my glasses. I can get my prescription in Racing Jackets. We'll see. Thanks for the information.

Back