• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription Questions

Tenacious Z

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys this is my first post on the forum. I just learned I need glasses full time and have some questions about using the Flax Jacket XLJ frames I already have. My plan is to use the Flak Jacket XLJ frames as my full time frames for my new prescription. I plan on doing this by having the prescription be put into a set of clear XLJ sunglasses lenses. I also plan to put transitions into those lenses and maybe anti-reflective coating. My questions are as follows:
  • If anyone has tried clear lenses in the XLJ frames how does that combo look for full time glasses?
  • How clear are the clear lenses Oakley offers for sunglasses (would they look like normal glasses)?
  • Would the clear lenses offer any tint to normal viewing? (If I am indoors without the transitions activated)
  • Is it possible to put transitions into clear lenses for Oakley XLJ?
  • How can I be assured that, when I go to my eye doctor, they put the prescription in the official Oakley lenses and not just put glass lenses in the frames I give them?
  • Does anyone know if I were to do this if the lenses I am asking for would be considered regular prescription eyeglass lenses? (For insurance purposes)
  • Has anyone ever tried transitions on Oakley sunglasses? If so, how effective are they?
  • Is this even a good idea?
Thanks guys.

from what I looked at recently and spoke with a few eyeglass shops - they have to send off the prescription to Oakley and Oakley makes the lenses and ships them back. Most prescription lenses come in a large round (maybe 4-5") disk. they then use a machine to cut the lenses to size for the frames you choose. I don't believe they can cut a prescription lens for any Oakley sunglasses frame. If you find out different let me know. I talked to several people that said the same thing. They can cut the lenses for Oakley RX glasses (ie hollowpoint) but cannot for sunglasses. I am in the same boat and am trying to figure out how to get some rx lenses for my pennys I just bought (or a pair of flaks/twentys)

from what I looked at recently and spoke with a few eyeglass shops - they have to send off the prescription to Oakley and Oakley makes the lenses and ships them back. Most prescription lenses come in a large round (maybe 4-5") disk. they then use a machine to cut the lenses to size for the frames you choose. I don't believe they can cut a prescription lens for any Oakley sunglasses frame. If you find out different let me know. I talked to several people that said the same thing. They can cut the lenses for Oakley RX glasses (ie hollowpoint) but cannot for sunglasses. I am in the same boat and am trying to figure out how to get some rx lenses for my pennys I just bought (or a pair of flaks/twentys)
So how do they do prescription sunglasses if they cannot cut frames to the shape of the frames? kinda confusing

prescription sunglasses are usually a frame provided for RXs and they use a regular prescription lens and add tint.

well I have insurance as well and was going to purchase a regular pair and use my insurance for the sunglasses. my insurance only gave a 60 dollar allowance for lenses and oakleys were not included as covered. the best I could get was 20% off of a pair with prescription lenses (about 430 plus) so I opted to buy a set of pennys and look at other options :)

That's why I'm asking if they could be considered regular prescriptions glasses so my insurance could cover it?

That is a question for your insurance company, not so much here. Everyone's coverage is different.

Oakley prescription lenses are expensive but are top notch. You can not just make a clear lens into prescription. The lenses are completely manufactured by Oakley.

I just received my limit switch .5 prescription glasses and lenses today from oakley si. Not sure where to post this, but this thread seemed appropriate. I had a little black hard plastic thing included with what looks like nylon thread. kinda like fishing line. Any ideas on what the hell they are? I can't figure it out for the life of me. I attached a pic. Thanx

20220103_154011.jpg

Back