• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

price of custom vs OEM

mercat

I should Work at Oakley
Auckland
I'm not sure if it has been discussed before, but does customizing a frame make a price of a pair higher than the original colorway? given both are in good/excellent condition..
i've seen some that are sold here that were customized but priced more than OEM..
should value go up/down once a frame is touched?
my thought is OEM should be the standard with pricing but value to each person can be subjective and i'm no expert with customizing so it could add more value to an OEM pair..
your thoughts?

Different custom work commands different money...and some finishes are quite trendy.

For instance, copper plating is generally higher than say a regular XM refinish. And polished goes up and down somewhat depending if it is “in style” at the time...rust refinish is trendy as well. It’s honestly a bit of a crap shoot.

I'm not sure if it has been discussed before, but does customizing a frame make a price of a pair higher than the original colorway? given both are in good/excellent condition..
i've seen some that are sold here that were customized but priced more than OEM..
should value go up/down once a frame is touched?
my thought is OEM should be the standard with pricing but value to each person can be subjective and i'm no expert with customizing so it could add more value to an OEM pair..
your thoughts?

my thoughts are OEM should be the standard in price. ive seen some dumb prices for someone stating they have 1 of 1 RARE prototypes done by customizing it. In some ways it could make the original model look better which is why there are some people who would pay the extra value. All that is opinion over true value. I will give a shout out, some of the dudes who do it here aren't run of the mill, they actually professionally create art. Ive been in awe in some cases how clean their customs are. Ive received tio2 and metal refinishes and unless you knew what to look for you would assume it was oem, better then oem, or an upgrade to the original finish. I don't want to name names as it would def discredit others who do work, but some of the members have much higher superior talent and will to put the product first over the $$/time it takes, which I commend. You will figure it out the more time you spend here, where to go, who to trust and what value it holds to you.

I believe customs in some regards should be worth more. I just don’t like that some of the most rare and hard to find pairs are being customized so often that you can’t find an oem one anymore. And then I don’t like that sometimes they sell customs with chipped paint and scratched lenses for 100s more than a bnib oem pair.

Depends how much the seller bought the frame for and how much it cost to custom it I would imagine
did you mean a good condition frame got customized? so it would bump its price up?
how would the buyer know it was not a beater before? but if the custom job was really good and the buyer puts premium on the effort and creativity then it also makes sense..

It all depends really on the seller, if they got the frame cheep then had it customized and the frame is back to perfect, I would assume he’s considering as new or like new so they would sell it for more

pretty sure they probably wouldn’t mention it was a beater brought back to life

Latest Posts

Back