• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prism lenses

It’s the Polar bit that isn’t suitable for driving...
P lenses reduce glare so therefore they also reduce ability to see wet surfaces and standing water etc.

As I can’t wear polarised anyway, I was only referring to just prism lenses. The Oakley Australia website has a warning at the bottom of each frame that has prism lenses. Not sure if it is the same where you are. Thank you for the information though

Hi all,
Haven’t been on for quite some time but just getting back into it now as Oakley put out a nice range of youth frames (for my 32yr old small face) . Have just noticed that the prism lenses are listed as not suitable for driving. Can anyone tell me why? And also as I drive for my job what would be the best lense for driving in sunny or not so sunny conditions. (Can’t wear polarised lenses)

Thanks for any help

I think Aussie rules for driving lenses involves pretty neutral colors and a lot of the Prizm lenses have pink tints. I use all of mine for driving and they are very good (especially the polarized ones). Prizm black should be fine for driving in Australia and it isn't polarized ;)

Some jurisdictions prohibit polarized sunglasses while driving. As mentioned, it has to do with polarization sometimes obscuring standing water, and road contours or distances. Making dashboard displays harder to read is a secondary concern.

I get a lot of reflections/artifacts with my DWP while driving, especially from LED brake lights ...but the rest seem good.
Actually just experienced the visual artifacts with my new Clifden 24k (11% vlt), and only from oncoming traffic. Though not every vehicle, they only appeared from warmer colored light from xenon and halogens created red displaced/split halos around the lights. HID & LED’s had no such occurrence. So who knows.

With both pairs of Clifden’ the newer of which is not polarized, though I’ve only seen these visual artifacts through the lenses these pairs. Not with other Prizm lenses mounted in other frames, which makes me wonder if the abbe value differs for a flat lens. Then again who knows 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back