• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Black or Black Iridium, Darker Lens?

TripleB

Oakley Beginner
I'm looking for the darkest lens Oakley makes in their sub $200 sunglasses. Is Prizm Black or Black Iridium the darker lens?

Is there anything darker from Oakley to be used playing tennis on the brightest of days?

Is one of these two lenses better than the other?

Thank you!

TripleB

Last edited:
Yes, the polarized version is 9% light transmission, the regular black iridium is 10%. I personally really like the polarized version as it is darker and is awesome for driving in really bright conditions.

I'm looking for the darkest lens Oakley makes in their sub $200 sunglasses. Is Prizm Black or Black Iridium the darker lens?

Is there anything darker from Oakley to be used playing tennis on the brightest of days?

Is one of these two lenses better than the other?

Thank you!

TripleB

Prizm Snow Black Iridium is at 5.5%

And Prizm Black (polarized or otherwise) is at 11% , though glare reduction in specific instances where the glare is actually reduced (it's dependent on the way the light hits), can have a darker appearance in those areas.

prizm-lens-guide-1.jpg

Chart above in case you're curious about some others, since some like 24K has the same VLT as Black, if you were thinking you needed black just for the amount of reduction. (And Prizm Black has an Iridium coating on the front, though "Black Iridium" that isn't Prizm is a different lens).

Back