• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Daily Polarized vs Prizm Shallow Water Polarized for fly fishing

Prosper

Oakley Beginner
I have Flak Draft Asia fit with Prizm Daily Polarized (non-prescription). I like to fly fish and am considering getting prescription Prizm Shallow Water Polarized. I've used the Prizm Daily while fly fishing, skiing and driving and they seem to work just fine but I'm wearing contacts and then have to use reading glasses when tying knots, untangling line, reading, etc. which is less than ideal. Anyone one have experience with the Prizm Daily vs Prizm Shallow Water lenses for fly fishing? If getting a prescription lens I'd probably use it while driving, biking (road and mtn) and skiing. Ideally, I'd like one prescription lens that will work well in all situations, especially fly fishing and skiing. Also, any recommendations on retailers to cut the prescription lenses? Thanks!

I have Flak Draft Asia fit with Prizm Daily Polarized (non-prescription). I like to fly fish and am considering getting prescription Prizm Shallow Water Polarized. I've used the Prizm Daily while fly fishing, skiing and driving and they seem to work just fine but I'm wearing contacts and then have to use reading glasses when tying knots, untangling line, reading, etc. which is less than ideal. Anyone one have experience with the Prizm Daily vs Prizm Shallow Water lenses for fly fishing? If getting a prescription lens I'd probably use it while driving, biking (road and mtn) and skiing. Ideally, I'd like one prescription lens that will work well in all situations, especially fly fishing and skiing. Also, any recommendations on retailers to cut the prescription lenses? Thanks!

I own both of those, including the Prizm Deep Water Polar; and I am an avid fly-fisherman. I much prefer the DWP for fly-fishing. It works better for bright conditions due to its lower light transmission percentage. I find that I can see a little better into the water with the DWP. I prefer the DWP in fairly shallow water as well. My DWP pairs are always with me when I fish.
I don’t believe Oakley offers the Prizm Shallow Water in prescription. They do offer the DWP though. @Chris A Hardaway can cut them for you.

Thanks @GH4AU. @Chris A Hardaway can you cut either Prizm Deep Water Polarized or Prizm Shallow Water Polarized lenses for Flak Draft Asia fit with a rx of OD Sph -5.50, Cyl-0.75, Axis 97, OS Sph -5.75, Cyl -1.00, Axis 57? If so, how much would they cost?

Thanks @GH4AU. @Chris A Hardaway can you cut either Prizm Deep Water Polarized or Prizm Shallow Water Polarized lenses for Flak Draft Asia fit with a rx of OD Sph -5.50, Cyl-0.75, Axis 97, OS Sph -5.75, Cyl -1.00, Axis 57? If so, how much would they cost?
Honestly, with that RX I'd stay away from wrapped sunglasses... Have you worn bifocals before? I imagine if you are over about 45 yes of age reading is tough with that RX. Can you simply talk to your doctor about "multifocal contacts" or monovision contacts? One eye for far, one eye for near. Then you can have a few pair of sunglasses in each tint :) I agree with @GH4AU especially if you are already been to prizm daily... DWP will be great on bright days, and be good around water. Shallow water is gonna be great for fishing the way u do, but you might not like the change in tint to your environment.

Honestly, with that RX I'd stay away from wrapped sunglasses... Have you worn bifocals before? I imagine if you are over about 45 yes of age reading is tough with that RX. Can you simply talk to your doctor about "multifocal contacts" or monovision contacts? One eye for far, one eye for near. Then you can have a few pair of sunglasses in each tint :) I agree with @GH4AU especially if you are already been to prizm daily... DWP will be great on bright days, and be good around water. Shallow water is gonna be great for fishing the way u do, but you might not like the change in tint to your environment.

...Or get LASIK or PRK. It’s the best decision I have ever made. I had a high astigmatism and wore Toric contacts for many years and hated them. They dried out constantly, were expensive as hell, and were weighted, and every time I blinked I lost focus for a millisecond. I became so tired of it and got LASIK in 2009. I was only out of work for a day and saw 20/20 within a week. **** was miraculous. No more glasses. No more crappy contacts. With perfect vision and no restrictions I could wear all of my Oakleys comfortably. :cool-20:

Back