• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Jade Polarized (vs other prizm) for driving sunglasses?

Fables

I should Work at Oakley
Finland
Hi

I always keep one pair of sunglasses in my car… in case i forget to take the sunglasses I have for daily use with me.

I have this criteria for these driving glasses:
1. Must be polarized for those days when the roads are wet
2. Must shield eyes well enough in bright sunlight
3. Must have enough visibility in half sunny- half cloudy conditions

I also like strong iridium coatings so I would like to rule out tungsten and daily polarized even though tungsten seems to be a great choice for driving. I would have chosen 24K iridium polarized lenses but Oakley has changed the light transmission in those lenses from 13& to 23% and I thought that those likely would not work anymore in bright sunlight. However I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience in trying the 24K iridium lenses with 23% light transmission for driving.. and how did they work for that purpose?

So now I have been looking at the new Prizm polarized lenses. In the sunglasses I have for daily use I have fire iridium polarized and prizm black iridium polarized lenses and I don’t want same/similar lenses for my driving glasses. So I left out prizm black iridium polarized (have those) and prizm ruby iridium polarized (too similar with fire??) from my options.

So this leaves the following prizm polarized lenses as my possible options: deep water, sapphire and jade. I have been leaning towards prizm jade iridium polarized as I thought that DW and Sapphire might to too dark for my criteria? I would appreciate to hear I anyone is using prizm jade iridium polarized lenses for driving and how well you think they fulfill the my criteria for driving sunglasses? Especially how well they increase contrast and work in low light conditions.

If anyone thinks that DW or Sapphire would also work in lower light conditions and would be viable options please let me know that as well.

Last edited:
I wear all the above for driving. I guess I’m not that picky.

Here are some pics so you can compare...wish it was sunny here for a better idea in sunny conditions...

Top is DWP (Flak 2)
Next is Prizm Sapphire (Flak 2)
3rd is Prizm Jade (custom cut Monster Dog)
Last is Prizm Maritime (custom cut Romeo)

B50541F9-C05D-49A4-8AF6-B3568DE6E060.jpeg
21A83BB8-2747-49F2-9362-E92212E35D90.jpeg
CE0AB790-B3E5-4014-A7EC-AFA746601AB7.jpeg
EE97AFF6-DCEA-477A-89FB-F763D02CB24D.jpeg

I wear all the above for driving. I guess I’m not that picky.

Here are some pics so you can compare...wish it was sunny here for a better idea in sunny conditions...

Top is DWP (Flak 2)
Next is Prizm Sapphire (Flak 2)
3rd is Prizm Jade (custom cut Monster Dog)
Last is Prizm Maritime (custom cut Romeo)

View attachment 497144 View attachment 497145 View attachment 497146 View attachment 497147

Brilliant. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Maritime is not a option for me as I need prescription.

Based on those pictures I would still go with Prizm Jade. How do you like Prizm Jade on low light conditions?

Brilliant. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Maritime is not a option for me as I need prescription.

Based on those pictures I would still go with Prizm Jade. How do you like Prizm Jade on low light conditions?

No issues to report. It's probably the lens I wear the most right now, but probably more because I like the frame so much.
I will add this; when I kayak, I wear the DWP exclusively...don't think I'd wear Jade on the water. (All the lenses shown above are polarized, BTW)

No issues to report. It's probably the lens I wear the most right now, but probably more because I like the frame so much.
I will add this; when I kayak, I wear the DWP exclusively...don't think I'd wear Jade on the water. (All the lenses shown above are polarized, BTW)

Great. Thank you.

I don't kayak but I do fishing... mainly in lakes / on shallow water. I actually use my biking sunglasses (racing jackets) when fishing. In those I have vented Ice iridium polarized for bright light & city conditions and vented shallow blue polarized when driving mostly in forest/trails and coming in and out of light. I find it a great lens for that (as well as for fishing) and chose that lens over prizm road and prizm trail.

That is nice. Too bad I don’t see too much of that lens...

I got it for most of my frames (some custom cuts). One of the most versatile lenses Oakley makes and kind of a predecessor to Prizm. I think it will be used less now that there are several prizm options.

Back