• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm lens for bicycle touring - ROAD vs TRAIL

Qbekbear

Oakley Beginner
Hello! I'm new here, hope to stay for a while after a succesful purchase in which I need some help from you, experienced users :)

I'm shopping around for my first serious sunglasses, which I'm going to use primarily on the bike - a lot of touring, and some daily rides. Would be great if they also worked for driving and other activities. I can't afford (and don't really want) more than one pair and don't want to buy two pairs of something of sub-par quality.

For the frame I chose Sutro, because I like their look and feel like they will work both in sports and outside of sports style-wise.

I have a little conundrum in the lens department. I managed to narrow my choice down to Prizm Road vs Prizm Trail (probably Torch?). I am a person who is sort of fine without using sunglasses at all (my eyes don't seem to be very light sensitive), but I want to use a pair for protection from UV and unwanted objects flying towards my eyes. I will do bicycle touring in different light conditions - it will be 95% on roads, but ranging from very sunny to overcast/rainy days (even like north Scandinavia overcast), but let's say 70% nice weather (sunny or moderately cloudy), 30% bad weather (overcast/rainy), Also would probably use them while hiking, driving etc., but their main use (~90%) will be for bicycle riding. So as you can see I'm trying to go for a 'one size fits all' which I know doesn't exist, but want to get close :)

Which one of these two would you recommend for me? Are the Trails going to do their job in the sunny days? How is the tint in both of them - isn't it too bothering (I am not really an avid sunglasses user, as you can see and want something that will primarily not bother me).

I recommend both! They both have different functions. You have more than one pair of shoes, jackets, jeans, pants, yes? Same with glasses! Buy both and you’ll be very happy you did! Welcome to the forum.

If can only get one I would get road. I find the lens is versatile and good in most conditions. Trail is great but it strains the eyes in full sunlight. You can always get one frame and 2 lenses, then switch them depending on condition.

Also if it matters to you, the sutros are not aero at all. If you are looking for aero, flight jacket might be better. Flight jackets also sit closer to your face so they allow less wind past the lens when your at speed

I mountain bike so aero doesn't matter to me, as long as I look cool. Just let off the brakes!

I don’t prefer either of them. photochromic is my favorite with prizm road black or jade my second favorite. The thing I don’t like about road and trail is their light transmission is in an awkward range where it is too bright for sunny days, and too dark for cloudy days.

That’s just my opinion though through my eyes. I’m sure you will be happy with whatever you choose!

If can only get one I would get road. I find the lens is versatile and good in most conditions. Trail is great but it strains the eyes in full sunlight. You can always get one frame and 2 lenses, then switch them depending on condition.

Also if it matters to you, the sutros are not aero at all. If you are looking for aero, flight jacket might be better. Flight jackets also sit closer to your face so they allow less wind past the lens when your at speed

I mountain bike so aero doesn't matter to me, as long as I look cool. Just let off the brakes!

I'm not really a road cyclist, more into touring, so I guess aero is not a big deal for me. Thanks for pointing this out, though!

I'm a motorcyclist but I own a lot of other lenses. I love the Prizm Road lens. It's one of my favorite lenses all-around. In fact, I'm strongly considering Prizm Road for my daily first prescription sunglasses. Can't go wrong with that lens.

I absolutely love Prizm trail (non torch), but it's a tad too bright for full sunshine unless I'm under a tree canopy. I've only tried Prizm road briefly and I didn't like it, at least not for being out in the woods. Too purple and not well suited colors for trails, which is what I do most. Prizm trail torch is good but I prefer the original if I'm gonna use such a bright lens anyway.

A great allround lens is Prizm dark golf. It has almost the exact same color balance as Prizm trail torch, but is not as bright (20% VLT, IIRC). It works great for trail riding and everything else, but is perhaps a tad too dark for gloomy overcast days. It looks good too with its black iridium coating.

Both lenses are wonderful. I'd suggest starting with one lens, in a frame that lets you swap lenses easily and buy an extra set of the other lenses now or later.

Sutro has interchangeable lenses, but it's not made to swap lenses "daily" (neither is Flight Jacket by the way) . Plus, you might want something with rubber earsocks, that will grip your head well wen riding. Both of these are quote large as well, and might interfere with your helmet.

Imho, frames like Racing Jacket (pricey, agressive, allways comes with a second, dark lens) https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9171?variant=888392564450, Flak 2.0 XL (more affordable, more everyday design) https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9188?variant=888392104991 or (2-lens custom only) Radarlock https://www.oakley.com/en-us/custom-product/0OO9181CP have easy lens swapping and rubber earsocks. And, being smaller, they are more aero and will fit beter under most helmets.

If I'm correct, all three come with a hard case with slots for spare lenses.

Tip: You can still find classic Prizm trail lenses for all three! They're terrific, I prefer these over the newer Prizm trail Torch by a LOT.🙂

Last edited:
I don’t prefer either of them. photochromic is my favorite with prizm road black or jade my second favorite. The thing I don’t like about road and trail is their light transmission is in an awkward range where it is too bright for sunny days, and too dark for cloudy days.

That’s just my opinion though through my eyes. I’m sure you will be happy with whatever you choose!
ISNT PRISM road JADE actually darker then road? so would be darker then road on cloudy days?

Back