• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Road disappointment

With the nice, even artificial light the contrast enhancement on the road lenses didn't seem over-the-top. The trails definitely had more light transmission and turned everything a more unnatural color, but I couldn't evaluate how they would do in dappled light.
Don't know if you snowboard, but if you ever take your goggles off on the chairlift after being out for a while - at first everything seems unnaturally blue. The same concept is true when you're inside trying out different tints, your eyes/brain need to compensate for the contrasting change in color over period of time. Quickly swapping between lens tints won't give your brain enough time to adjust.

Sounds silly, but if you're switching between two pairs contrasting tints. While you have pair A close your eyes, have pair B ready and with your eyes still closed put those on. Why would you do this? Because your eyes/brain won't need to readjust as much between deep maroon of prizm road, the bright white lights of the store and then prizm golf/trail lenses.

But regardless you're going to need to wear them for like 10mins to get your brain to as though compensate for the change in your FOV. If you're just putting them on for a minute then swapping, the difference will be stark and unnatural due to vast changes of color... If you were to wear some contrasting tint to the store and not take them off till you're ready to swap to the prizm trail, an with closing your eyes in the swap the difference should be more normal.... although if you have to walk through the whole mall the transition won't be as smooth since your eyes are adjusting to the indoors with compensation to the FOV tint

Or, purchase the prizm trail/golf from some online retailer that accepts returns, if you don't like it... return it?

Last edited:
... If you're just putting them on for a minute then swapping, the difference will be stark and unnatural due to vast changes of color...

That wasn't necessarily a complaint, just an observation. I'm not concerned with an unnatural tint if the glasses perform well, especially since I'm not wearing them off the bike.

That wasn't necessarily a complaint, just an observation. I'm not concerned with an unnatural tint if the glasses perform well, especially since I'm not wearing them off the bike.
Well to get the most out of how they'd perform IRL, you'd want to minimize the amount your brain/eyes need to compensate... So going into the store with a pair your brain has already adjusted to, and then swapping between pair with closing your eyes between switches should give you a better idea of how they'll be in the day to day...

As not many stores will let you just leave and walk around outside for like 15mins to get a feel for them.... hence why I suggested just going the return route if they don't work out.

Do you have any Radar EV frames? I have a Path Prizm Trail lens that you can try if you do. I hate that lens. But most of my riding is in the sun, so I very, very much prefer Prizm Road.

Well to get the most out of how they'd perform IRL, you'd want to minimize the amount your brain/eyes need to compensate... So going into the store with a pair your brain has already adjusted to, and then swapping between pair with closing your eyes between switches should give you a better idea of how they'll be in the day to day...

As not many stores will let you just leave and walk around outside for like 15mins to get a feel for them.... hence why I suggested just going the return route if they don't work out.

There's a good price on the Prizm Golf on e-bay right now that is tempting me to get them without trying. I'd have to resell them rather than return them if I don't like them, though.

Do you have any Radar EV frames? I have a Path Prizm Trail lens that you can try if you do. I hate that lens. But most of my riding is in the sun, so I very, very much prefer Prizm Road.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have any Radar EV frames.

There's a good price on the Prizm Golf on e-bay right now that is tempting me to get them without trying. I'd have to resell them rather than return them if I don't like them, though.
I don't understand... ?

Why get yourself into a situation where you might end up with an item you don't like an can't return, when you can go pay a little extra to try something out and return for free.
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.50.19 PM.png
If you do like them, you can always grab a pair for super deal and still return the pair from amazon, or buy from an ebay're that accepts returns like this one... 192397717942

Unless your purpose of reselling rather than returning them, is to flip them for a profit?

I don't understand... ?

Why get yourself into a situation where you might end up with an item you don't like an can't return, when you can go pay a little extra to try something out and return for free.
View attachment 635272
If you do like them, you can always grab a pair for super deal and still return the pair from amazon, or buy from an ebay're that accepts returns like this one... 192397717942

Unless your purpose of reselling rather than returning them, is to flip them for a profit?

The free returns are only for new, unused items. Maybe I could wipe all the sweat off and pretend I didn't use them, but that's getting into an ethical gray area for me. Buying them to try out with no intention of keeping them crosses the line. My goal with reselling would be to break even or profit if I can.

The free returns are only for new, unused items. Maybe I could wipe all the sweat off and pretend I didn't use them, but that's getting into an ethical gray area for me. Buying them to try out with no intention of keeping them crosses the line. My goal with reselling would be to break even or profit if I can.
Having a family member who works in amazon returns center, they'll literally take just about anything back in terms of tangible products - the exceptions are any type of food, gift cards, downloads and a few other obvious things like alcohol. You have to have really used it for them not to take it back, like trying to blend golf balls in your blender...

If you fall on your face often then the return option won't work for you... But if carefully remove the plastic lens stickers and keep all the packaging; plastic stickers, plastic temple sleeve, MF bag, papers and cardboard fold mint.

I can't imagine them denying your return, unless you write some obvious reason like "I only bought from you because I knew I could return them, so yeah I basically whored your policy out and now I'm going to go buy them for half the price else where"

Back