• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Road Rant!

I actually think most of the prizm lenses have a (girly) rose base, how many are there compared to bronze for instance?

@cacatman , can you make one of your famous lists?

:cool:

I can understand your position @kmbijit. I have said for the last couple of years Prizm Road in a Polarized version *could* be a great driving lense. Ultimately, as others have pointed out, its a cycling specific lense, so much like Prizm Field, which I would love in a Polarized version for driving, it is highly unlikely. I honestly have wondered why Oakley never made (that i have heard of) a lense specifically for driving aside from presuming this is one of many generic applications for Black Iridium Polarized, etc.
I keep a set of Badman with Black Iridium Polarized in my glovebox for the brightest conditions. However, i can agree i would love a thicker iridium tonally akin to Pos Red Iridium with the contrast of Prizm for driving. In all of the lenses I have used, my preferred driving lenses are Emerald Iridium, which doesnt help as they are almost extinct at this point, much like Ruby Polar which remind me of home in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Prizm Deep Water are decent, but i prefer a darker iridium color.

in the last 20 years, every job I have had involved driving, so this is the primary purpose of every lense I own. The first Oakley frames I bought were a flak xlj in 2013 or so when I was an EMT working on an ambulance. I bought them used on ebay on the cheap. I picked up a set of Positive Red Iridium Polar from a seller, chadwell on ebay as well. Those were perfect for driving.

In the years since, I have tried many lenses, but still not found a perfect driving lense Oakley still makes. Prizm Maritime Polarized is one that is decent, but has its drawbacks. It is a thin iridium coating for full sun here in the mornings and afternoon in the foothills of the Appalachians. Prizm Ruby Polarized is in my current rotation, but the earliest iterations had a far superior finish and view versus what i have to call Prizm Fruby Polar with the current gen of those. Batch variations bug the piss out of me. Oakley/Lux cannot seem to control their production and keep things consistent. Perhaps that is something no company can keep consistent. I hear you on your use-case scenario, though, and can agree.

In the years since, I have tried many lenses, but still not found a perfect driving lense Oakley still makes. Prizm Maritime Polarized is one that is decent, but has its drawbacks. It is a thin iridium coating for full sun here in the mornings and afternoon in the foothills of the Appalachians. Prizm Ruby Polarized is in my current rotation, but the earliest iterations had a far superior finish and view versus what i have to call Prizm Fruby Polar with the current gen of those. Batch variations bug the piss out of me. Oakley/Lux cannot seem to control their production and keep things consistent. Perhaps that is something no company can keep consistent. I hear you on your use-case scenario, though, and can agree.

The nearest equivalent to a polarized version of Prizm Road was the OO Red Polarized, again, a legacy lens that's rare to find now.
I have a beater pair in my car with Ice Iridium lenses though I actually find DWP the best for driving and it's pretty consistent (have owned 3 pairs of DWP so far). Occasionally, I switch to Prizm Black Polarized or Tungsten Polarized (Iridium, not Prizm). Contrary to few others here, I absolutely need polarized lenses for driving, the reflections from my dash drive me crazy.

I can understand your position @kmbijit. I have said for the last couple of years Prizm Road in a Polarized version *could* be a great driving lense. Ultimately, as others have pointed out, its a cycling specific lense, so much like Prizm Field, which I would love in a Polarized version for driving, it is highly unlikely. I honestly have wondered why Oakley never made (that i have heard of) a lense specifically for driving aside from presuming this is one of many generic applications for Black Iridium Polarized, etc.
I keep a set of Badman with Black Iridium Polarized in my glovebox for the brightest conditions. However, i can agree i would love a thicker iridium tonally akin to Pos Red Iridium with the contrast of Prizm for driving. In all of the lenses I have used, my preferred driving lenses are Emerald Iridium, which doesnt help as they are almost extinct at this point, much like Ruby Polar which remind me of home in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Prizm Deep Water are decent, but i prefer a darker iridium color.

in the last 20 years, every job I have had involved driving, so this is the primary purpose of every lense I own. The first Oakley frames I bought were a flak xlj in 2013 or so when I was an EMT working on an ambulance. I bought them used on ebay on the cheap. I picked up a set of Positive Red Iridium Polar from a seller, chadwell on ebay as well. Those were perfect for driving.

If you like that base tint, check out the OO Line. Hard to find, but great colors. I use OO BIP for driving.

The nearest equivalent to a polarized version of Prizm Road was the OO Red Polarized, again, a legacy lens that's rare to find now.
I have a beater pair in my car with Ice Iridium lenses though I actually find DWP the best for driving and it's pretty consistent (have owned 3 pairs of DWP so far). Occasionally, I switch to Prizm Black Polarized or Tungsten Polarized (Iridium, not Prizm). Contrary to few others here, I absolutely need polarized lenses for driving, the reflections from my dash drive me crazy.
The Myth, The Legend

img_20170814_094110838-jpg.jpg

img_20181019_124313-jpg.jpg

🙇‍♂️🙏

OO red polarized was an awesome lens, I had them in a white fast jacket at one time. Really wish that entire OO lens class hadn’t went away when Oakley brought out prizm.

As far as the road lens goes, I personally like prizm road black for bicycling. It is a dark lens and still has that rose base, but can handle bright sunshine. I pair it with prizm dark golf for cloudy/mostly cloudy days and they handle most of my sunglass needs. Really should consider a low light or maybe prizm trail torch as a low light lens, but I guess I like the prizm road lens, especially in the black version.

Back