• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

PRIZM Ruby vs PRIZM Field

rct123

Oakley Beginner
I play competitive beach volleyball in Texas; trying to decide on which lenses would be best (while also attempting to be as frugal as possible). The sun is very bright here, and I'm often looking up in the sky for the ball.

The PRIZM Ruby and PRIZM Field lenses appear to be very similar. I know the light transmission for the Fields are slightly less (15% vs 17% IIRC). Beyond that, are there any other major differences?

Will the Ruby lens still filter light in a way that is beneficial for beach volleyball?
Is there another lens altogether that would be better than both of these?

I can buy a pair with Ruby lenses for a decent bit less than Field, but if the benefits of the Field (or another) lens justify it, I would rather spend the extra money for superior visibility while playing.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight/recommendations you are able to provide!

Been thinking a lot about best lens for bright sun and sand, i would say Dark Bronze......fellow members, what you say, good choice?

DARK BRONZE
  • Light Transmission 12%
  • Light Conditions Bright Light
  • Contrast Increased
  • Base Lens Colour Bronze

VR28 BIP for everything, always! :cool-20:

More seriously....
Ruby Prizm Polarized is simply gorgeous to look through and has an ever-so-subtle bronze contrast, but not enough to call it such.

IMO, in bright sunny, sandy conditions, I'd want to "cool down" my view a bit instead, albeit VR28, Bronze, then G30 being my favorite bases. The cooler grey base or similar viewing lenses seem dull to me.

If cost is a consideration, Prizm will drive it up a tick. Here are some options if you choose to avoid Prizm:
Fire, Ruby, or Jade for a more cool viewing temperature, while Fire delivers you the slight green hue designed to enhance white against blue (baseballs, volleyballs, etc).
That'll put you at a 16%, 14%, or 17% (polar: 10%, 12%, 13%) transmission, respectively.
I always go with polarized, which will bring down the light transmission and glare, especially off nearby water if beach beach volleyball.

Partly sunny? That's when I'd go for rose contrasts, but would still leave bronze at home.
Then again, can't go wrong with VR28 BIP! Great all around for anywhere I'd find myself and because it's not plugged enough on here. ;)

BUT... Kerri Walsh-Jennings used Prizm Field during day matches in Rio 2016, so there's that.

Been thinking a lot about best lens for bright sun and sand, i would say Dark Bronze......fellow members, what you say, good choice?

DARK BRONZE
  • Light Transmission 12%
  • Light Conditions Bright Light
  • Contrast Increased
  • Base Lens Colour Bronze
Thanks! I'll look into these, as well.

VR28 BIP for everything, always! :cool-20:

More seriously....
Ruby Prizm Polarized is simply gorgeous to look through and has an ever-so-subtle bronze contrast, but not enough to call it such.

IMO, in bright sunny, sandy conditions, I'd want to "cool down" my view a bit instead, albeit VR28, Bronze, then G30 being my favorite bases. The cooler grey base or similar viewing lenses seem dull to me.

If cost is a consideration, Prizm will drive it up a tick. Here are some options if you choose to avoid Prizm:
Fire, Ruby, or Jade for a more cool viewing temperature, while Fire delivers you the slight green hue designed to enhance white against blue (baseballs, volleyballs, etc).
That'll put you at a 16%, 14%, or 17% (polar: 10%, 12%, 13%) transmission, respectively.
I always go with polarized, which will bring down the light transmission and glare, especially off nearby water if beach beach volleyball.

Partly sunny? That's when I'd go for rose contrasts, but would still leave bronze at home.
Then again, can't go wrong with VR28 BIP! Great all around for anywhere I'd find myself and because it's not plugged enough on here. ;)

BUT... Kerri Walsh-Jennings used Prizm Field during day matches in Rio 2016, so there's that.
Kerri Walsh and others using them in the Olympics is what first turned me on to the Prizm lenses, and is the reason I started with the Prism Field. Thanks for the detailed response, I will definitely look into the other lenses you mentioned!

VR28 BIP sounds like another good option, since I would likely use them regularly off-the-court too.

Kerri Walsh and others using them in the Olympics is what first turned me on to the Prizm lenses, and is the reason I started with the Prism Field. Thanks for the detailed response, I will definitely look into the other lenses you mentioned!

VR28 BIP sounds like another good option, since I would likely use them regularly off-the-court too.

Yeah, VR28 BIP is what's up.

Since initially seeing this thread, I've seen a few more volleyball athletes using the Prizm Field lens including April Ross, who has also been using what looks like Jade Iridium in some Radars.

If you're looking to wear on or off the court, Prizm Road may not be too bad of a choice for you, either.

Never trust what athletes wear, they would wear their mother's dead skin if it made them money

I think prizm field will be fine.. It is also the darkest non polarized prizm lens which has 15% light transmission.

Latest Posts

Back