• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Okay, I'm here, I'm here...

Probably easier to re-explain than dig up a link...

Polarized and Prizm are very different things.

First, Prizm - it's not a industry name but Oakley's marketing term for this new line. Oakley Prizm lenses
are a family of contrast lenses (as opposed to a neutral base like grey). What makes these different than other contrast lenses is, traditional contrast base tints tend to be a general color wash. With Prizm, they are able to fine-tune which light wavelengths i.e. colors are filtered or passed. Like you had a multi-band EQ. So the various Prizms have been tuned to be optimal for specific activities, such as Prizm Golf is tuned to make the difference between green and dead grass stand out. But it's not like you're limited to using them only for their named purpose; for example, I like using Prizm Trail as rain-driving glasses.

Polarization is a filter that will block reflected light - in sunglasses it is usually oriented to block light reflected up from below, such as from a wet road or the hood of a car. Any lens could potentially be offered in a polarized version, regardless of whether the base tint is neutral, contrast, or Prizm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your input OakleyFrankFMJ! I will look into those.
Then if you prefer a pretty contrast lens...... you can always try VR28 Black Iridium Polarized. Does the same job but enhances color nicely.

Try this guide here which explains the difference: Oakley Prizm Lenses Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm here, I'm here...

Probably easier to re-explain than dig up a link...

Polarized and Prizm are very different things.

First, Prizm - it's not a industry name but Oakley's marketing term for this new line. They are a family of contrast lenses (as opposed to a neutral base like grey). What makes these different than other contrast lenses is, traditional contrast base tints tend to be a general color wash. With Prizm, they are able to fine-tune which light wavelengths i.e. colors are filtered or passed. Like you had a multi-band EQ. So the various Prizms have been tuned to be optimal for specific activities, such as Prizm Golf is tuned to make the difference between green and dead grass stand out. But it's not like you're limited to using them only for their named purpose; for example, I like using Prizm Trail as rain-driving glasses.

Polarization is a filter that will block reflected light - in sunglasses it is usually oriented to block light reflected up from below, such as from a wet road or the hood of a car. Any lens could potentially be offered in a polarized version, regardless of whether the base tint is neutral, contrast, or Prizm.
IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU SHOWED UP! :punish:

I was esplainin stuff and not doing so good at it! :p

Like Frank mentioned Black Iridium Polarized (BIP) is a neutral base polarized lens. It and Ice polar (same neutral base) are 9% trans lenses, the darkest you can get and still be category 3.

Prizms are all contrast. The have a general-purpose Prizm Daily that's polarized and 14% trans. They also have some water-specific polarized Prizms at 12%.

And, like Frank said, VR28 BIP is a great pre-Prizm contrast lens with a 10% trans. Some prefer OO BIP in that role as the colors aren't quite as rich.

I will be sure to look into those when I get up to the x-metal level of things, alpha. Thank you for your input.

Thank you all for the insight. I decided upon a pair of prizm H2O deep polarized turbines. Really, looking forward to receiving these. Now, the hard part. Not buying more before the first two pair arrives! LOL!

I will be sure to look into those when I get up to the x-metal level of things, alpha. Thank you for your input.

Thank you all for the insight. I decided upon a pair of prizm H2O deep polarized turbines. Really, looking forward to receiving these. Now, the hard part. Not buying more before the first two pair arrives! LOL!

My initial impression of deep H2O prizm polar was that they seemed brighter than Daily prizm polar, despite being 2% lower trans. And the contrast was more yellow/tan than the purplish Daily, which might have contributed to the impression that they seemed brighter.

But after I wore them a bit I loved them, no problems in full sun. Hope the same goes for you, too!

Latest Posts

Back