• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Project IP/SOPA

I strongly believe that this bill could not only damage the internet, but to the most valuable of our human rights, which is freedom. Is unbelievable the lack of creativity that some companies show, they haven't figured out how to stop piracy and now they're collecting favors from the senate to present this bill!!!

Some people have learned how to benefit from the internet and the new way of thinking about distribution and IP.

Louis CK, for example, sold one of his latest works for $5, instead of the $15-20 that would be charged to obtain the same piece of work through DVD or other formats. He netted a few million dollars in a couple days. It also shattered sales figures for a stand-up comedy production.

It proves people are willing to pay for the things they want. I personally don't care if I see every movie that comes out, or listen to every bit of music. I'll pay to go see the movies I want to see, and obtain other movies through various means after they're on DVD (netflix, redbox, etc) and like hell will I pay $20 to see it once and collect it when there is likely free access or access through subscription to see it.

The other ramifications beyond music and TV/movies is just staggering.

Some people have learned how to benefit from the internet and the new way of thinking about distribution and IP.

Louis CK, for example, sold one of his latest works for $5, instead of the $15-20 that would be charged to obtain the same piece of work through DVD or other formats. He netted a few million dollars in a couple days. It also shattered sales figures for a stand-up comedy production.

It proves people are willing to pay for the things they want. I personally don't care if I see every movie that comes out, or listen to every bit of music. I'll pay to go see the movies I want to see, and obtain other movies through various means after they're on DVD (netflix, redbox, etc) and like hell will I pay $20 to see it once and collect it when there is likely free access or access through subscription to see it.

The other ramifications beyond music and TV/movies is just staggering.

That's what I'm talking about... the artist the creative mind of the protected rights is not the one complaining!!!! the companies are!! the distribution companies that can't do more than the analog distribution format... I love movies and I simply don't trade my movie theather experience for my couch, if the movie worth spending 30 - 50 bucks on a movie night out I gladly pay!!!

This is all about control. Governments want control, and governments are bank rolled and lobbied by big corporations, so ultimately it's about corporate control. When corporations dictate governmental policy and are protected by the government, that is facism. Democracy is the rule and will of the majority, yet this bill is the will of a minority, a minority who are already cash rich and well protected, so why is a democratic government working for a minority?

As a side note, I read an interesting article the other day about the make up of the US senate. The US population is roughly 300 million, and there are roughly 3 million millionaires (i.e. 1% of the US population are millionaires). However, 47% of US senators are millionaires. Does this not indicate that money buys power? And that money has bought a US senate who are now working for the 1%?

Just noticed my post about an evil bill to protect corporate greed was post number '666'. How appropriate!