• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Proper Selling Etiquette ??? OBO abuse???

Now we really know how dingo supposedly has all his metals. Although I've yet to see a pic of the collection!
I have 2 small cases too. I had all of them out on the bed as I was missing a pair. Thought I should take a pic. I was like nope to much trouble. At some point I will put them in the cases. It's easier to find and decide what I want to wear for the day that way

Damn this thread blew up... :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for shedding some light on this topic for me. I don't want to be one of thoes OBO guys but watching other people do it and having it done to me it just seems like the way to go. The seller has every advantage nothing is stopping them from simply relisting at a later time if playing bidders against each other back fires in thier face. Just last week I listed a R2 for I think 275.00 with in 1 hour I had 3 people aggressively trying to buy them. But I sold to the first PM which I thought was the way of the fourm. In reality now I see I could have listed them for 375.00 OBO and let thoes 3 bid it out to make a potential 60-80 extra dollars.

I'm not sure you're getting my point; it's not about turning it into an ebay auction, it's about what's appropriate in dealing with multiple offers below your asking price. And if the first (or any) PM is for your asking price you should honor it, not wait for a better offer.

Yes, you could certainly do what you said. As long as you don't:
1) Try to run up the deal to a price above your asking price
2) Lie about your other offers, either non-existent or lower than you say they are (which people will suspect or accuse you of even if you're being honest)
3) Agree to a deal then back out because a late, better offer came along

Nothing's stopping you from trying those but you asked this question out of ethical concerns and doing the above is crossing that line. And I don't think you'll find playing multiple offers off each other is as easy as it may sound, anyway...

But really, your problem isn't the "OBO guys". You listed that R2 in the good/great deal price range; that will always get a bunch of motivated offers. You should list at prices that have a little wiggle room for negotiating or stand firm on your asking price. But listing at more premium pricing will get less interest, so don't expect to have the same field to play in.

For both buyers and sellers, it's a balance between risk and reward - the greater the risk, the greater the potential reward, but also the greater chance of failure. Buyers risk losing out altogether for the reward of getting a better deal. Sellers risk losing the bird in hand for the two in the bush. As a seller, you have to decide if the extra time and effort is worth the potential return. Personally I wouldn't drag things out for days or weeks for another $50, IMO it's not worth the time that could be better spent doing something else, but that's just me...

And for the record, a couple of times in the past I've tried to score items by making a better offer after a deal with someone else had been made but not yet executed; all's fair in love and war and it takes two to dance. Every time the seller has turned me down and honored the original agreement. I respect that.

Last edited:
When you say $350 obo you are saying I'll take best offer if not $350. If buyer 4 offers full price, buyer 1, 2 and 3 shouldn't have penny pinched. Now I had a member agree to sell a item to me at his asking price and I asked for paypal address. Drove 10 minutes and he sold to another member. That was ****ty. Obo is not meant as a auction to drive up price. Now if I list for $350 and guy offers me $250 plus a item worth $150 in a trade, that's not auctioning, he doesn't want to spend the full amount in cash and sell his item. We both win

Sent from: Outer Space

Dont feel bad
I have lost 2 C SIx sales due to this type of behavior
Not even sales on this forum.
Now I just take it for granted that Im being played to get a better price
Even when I agree to pay the price they are asking. They use me to filter someone else for a few dollars more.
So until you have payed for the item anything is possible.
No matter how unfair it seems, its just life.

Back