• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Proper Selling Etiquette ??? OBO abuse???

I'm on a roll.

Kind of related, my biggest seller pet peeve is this buyer question:

'What's your best price?'

I never know how to answer it other than to say my 'best' price is already stated in the advert.

I get that it's a request for a discount. But unless I've stated 'firm' in the sale post, just make a reasonable offer. Don't leave it to me to start making lower offers to you, the buyer! If I wanna do that, I'll just lower the price in the advert for all to see.

Finally, if your offer is more than 10-15% lower than asking price, it's probably better not to PM in the first place. (Unless you know for a fact that the seller is EBay pricing because he's delusional, greedy or stupid. In which case also best not to PM)

I'm done. Phew.

Exactly - as a seller, always require the buyer to make the first offer, if it's less than your asking price. "What's your best price?" is really just fishing - they have an offer in mind, but you may be willing to take less so they're giving you the "opportunity" to set a price even better than what they're considering offering. And even if it's not, your "best price" will have to be closer to the offer they have in mind, giving them less of a range they have to compromise on. Most negotiations, if successful, meet somewhere in the middle, and they're basically trying to skip a turn.

In general in any negotiation you always want the other party to make the first offer. You could consider that the forum exchange requirement that you must list a price forces a seller to make the first offer but not really - with most things there's already a publicly perceived value, which you could consider the list price, and the negotiations don't start until an offer is made. By the buyer.

All this IS a lot easier if sellers just list reasonable prices and if buyers just make full-price offers... :rolleyes:

But if "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas...

Well
I for one as a buyer will ask a best price due to some of the over inflated asking prices.
Im not saying everyone is over priced, but often the price is ebay comparable or maybe higher.
I think most on this forum know what Im talking about.

So for me asking the best price is me just trying to cut to the chase.

I suppose over priced items will expect to be low balled, then back and forth banter on price.
I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder, and the negotiation.
Im never offended if a low ball offer comes in.
But I agree , I would rather be paid today , rather than a hambuger on Tuesday, I forget how that goes

Well
I for one as a buyer will ask a best price due to some of the over inflated asking prices.
Im not saying everyone is over priced, but often the price is ebay comparable or maybe higher.
I think most on this forum know what Im talking about.

So for me asking the best price is me just trying to cut to the chase.

I suppose over priced items will expect to be low balled, then back and forth banter on price.
I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder, and the negotiation.
Im never offended if a low ball offer comes in.
But I agree , I would rather be paid today , rather than a hambuger on Tuesday, I forget how that goes
I understand that.

Yeah. I get it. Cutting to the chase with over-inflated offers.

'EBay prices' create a culture where buyers expect discounts on everything and where sellers who price thoughtfully and fairly then have to answer 'Best price?' requests constantly.

I tried putting 'firm' for a bit too but didn't help and anyway nothing is truly fixed, and a negotiation is expected. But just as Kronin says, the onus is on the buyer to make an offer.

Lots of words for a small issue! Sorry! Generally the exchange works well. Especially with new 48hr bump 'enforcement'

Ok here in America eveyone loves a sale or a great deal. Business's learned a long time ago straight forward prices work ok. If you see certain key words your more inclined to go and get it..Look at jc pennys always has sales,went to straight low pricing sales went into the toilet, They brought sales fast. I hate kohls but they are the king of sales. I have done sales forever.

You guys want to truly appreciate pricing strategies and hassles....spend a week with me in the car business.

And we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Latest Posts

Back