• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Proposed Lens Rating System (cacatman) (Work in Progress)

Exactly, any other light source just doesn’t work. You’ll be able to get even the smallest and lightest of scratches to show up on camera via LED light.

I dont use led. But I examine and find the flaws and properly place them in the pics so they are magnified and can be seen. Like this..

20180812_191654.jpg
20180801_195447.jpg

The first thing is an exception. That's bnib w factory defects.

Mounted by factory and still in box and completely is still 10/10, anything else is less.

All this subjectivity is exactly why the best thing to do is take pics of the lenses held up to a light source. Good pics will remove most, if not all, subjectivity.

Would definitely say this. A verbal description is just an invitation to be wrong imo. I think we need to have a standardized picture set for products sold. Covers the buyer and the seller.

Pics against light must exhibit the entire lens if it has to be multiple pics (likely with shield lenses) , then so be it.

I'm sure people would hate these extra steps, but I'm sure many others don't like BS saying "it's perfect!" when in hand it clearly isn't.

Create a rubric with a rating scale 1-5, with each row looking at diff aspects. Mount marks? Dock a point. No swirls? 5/5. Any scratches? Nicks or gouges? Delamination? It’ll average itself in the end.

I'm particularly not into number rating because it's like an added step of conveying the condition which can still be subjective. Ideally it really just boils down to honesty.

Swirls are swirls
Scratches are scratches
Like regardless if we try to standardize this by numbers, someone's 4 can be another's 2. An observation can be objective, an inference can be subjective. It's not all that accurate to have a prospective buyer evaluate a price over a subjective number rating over an observation. They're trying to match the price to what's observed period.

Something like "just small scratches but it looks mint! 4.5!"...you can't try to induce some kind of narrative because the buyer has the right not to agree. That's like that one guy who was posting "45% off now!" — Like what the f*** it's a private exchange forum. Nobody has to f***ing agree with the context that a "discount" is in play. You slash a prince on your listing, you slashed it. If it went from $100 to $65, then that's that. None of this played out way of marketing like we're talking about a retail store percentage discount.

But I'm not trying to be buyer-biased. We've seen some transactions just completely s*** on the seller unfairly with assumptions. That's the major reason why I think pictures will be the most transparent way about it. As a seller you better call out everything in person that you can see or give the buyer a fair look. You can protect yourself proving you had the item in-hand in the condition you said it would be in.

Also as a buyer, ask for specific pics if you have to. Tedious, and I'm just saying this for both sides to save their asses in the exchange. A buyer can say "you never told me about that scratch" just as much as the seller could lean on saying "you could've asked for other pictures" — kind of a **** move and I would say stop ****y footing around, but there's no law preventing that. So again, things are go more smoothly if a seller just acts more upfront from the start.

General bottom line would just be honest about it. Don't hide anything. I mean, yeah, more people in the world get away with pulling quick ones than not, but as far as maintaining a reputable community, and holding out for that 1 in X people who will lose their s*** over you, just be a decent person about it. It's 2018. As much as people want to bridge the difference between getting that PayPal transaction or a rejection, you might deal with some psychopath like @"TRUMP" who has connections to the Bratva, and will kill your dog and eat your children.

Back