• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Protection sunglasses after eye surgery

Zunderlips27

Oakley Beginner
Hi from Spain! I have just had retinal detachment surgery. It wasnt caused by a ball impact or any kind of trauma. Just bad luck. My surgeon told me to get a good pair of protection sunglasses and Ive been told that Oakley are probably the best.

But I have a big doubt: should I get a full rim model or half rim? A friend of mine told me that half rim could be dangerous as it can cut my face (Miguel Cabrera incident type). But I dont know if a full rim model is suitable for tennis or padel (very popular sport in Spain and really dangerous for the eye because the ball travels at high speed). Any suggestions? Im so scared and I would like to feel safe once I step in the court again. From ignorance I think that the full-rim model would protect me more but I have no idea if that works for racket sports. These are my 2 options:

Jawbreaker and Flak 2.0. The Flak looks too smal but as i said before, I have no idea about this. So any suggestions or feedback? racket lover in the forum who could bring some light? Another friend told me today that 2 lenses protect and absorb impacts better that just one big lense or screen because that is more for cycling or running. So im so confused.

Thank you and sorry for my poor english.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM SPAIN!
jawbreaker.jpg

flak.jpg

I had a pretty severe eye injury to my left eye playing racquet sports too when i was in university. (Thankfully fully recovered!)
Ended up getting and using a pair of M-Frames for a really long time for everything, whether it was on the court or out on the bike, etc.
I never had any issues with having the exposed edge of the lens cut in any way, even when I was hit by a car while on the bike. The glasses took a direct hit with the pavement, with visible scuff marks. I ended up with a bruise to my cheek bone from the lenses, but no cut or scrapes whatsoever.

I've since moved to using Radar-EV's, Sutro's, and Flak 2.0's

For racquet sports, I've stuck to using the Flak 2.0's with a photochromic lens (clear or low light prizm will work well too). But the photochromic will work alright if you're playing tennis outdoors, or can double up as a casual pair of sunglasses when you're outside as well.
The ones i've used are the asian-fit/low bridge fit models, so the lenses are even shallower, but work perfectly fine.
if you have a larger frame for your noggin you can probably try out the XL's or something.

Between your choices, I'd suggest the Flak 2.0's
anything from the Radar family will work well too. M-Frames, etc.
I'd advise against using the EV-Zero series for racquet sports though, due to the lack of support from a ridged frame.
and the Jawbreakers may prove to be a bit more bulkier than you'd like for racquet sports.

Go try them both on in store (if possible) and see how you feel about them.

Thank so much for your help! Are the racing jackets suitable for racket sports? how about ventilation and fogging?

I considered the radar ev path but then my friend showed me the Miguel Cabrera pictures. Of course Cabrera was thankful to his Oakleys. I guess half rim are more comfortable as I have never seen a baseball player going full rim.

cabrera.jpg

cabrerar2.jpg

Thank so much for your help! Are the racing jackets suitable for racket sports? how about ventilation and fogging?

I considered the radar ev path but then my friend showed me the Miguel Cabrera pictures. Of course Cabrera was thankful to his Oakleys. I guess half rim are more comfortable as I have never seen a baseball player going full rim.
I would go with the racing jackets as well. You could get ventilated lenses if fogging is an issue

View attachment 927870

View attachment 927871
I’m not a racket sport guy, so I’m assuming you mean for field of vision? I honestly couldn’t tell you, but I know you can get vented lenses for the racing jacket, which should prevent fogging.

I cant find the Racing Jackets with photocromatic lenses. So Racing Jackets over Jawbreaker or Plazma?
All of them will give you good protection. It just all depends on what your preference is:

If you want something just for sport but want to save a bit of money, go with the jawbreaker.

If you want something that can be used for everyday wear as well, go with the plazma. Plazma is also the cheapest of the 3 but doesn't have vented lenses.

I like the racing jacket between the 3 but that's just my preference.

Back