• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Protective glasses for tennis

MPtje

Oakley Beginner
Hi All,

I recently got injured by getting a tennis ball in my eye. Now 1 month later, my vision recovered to 40-50% but unfortunately it will never get to 100% again. My other eye is still 100% and i want to protect both eyes as much as possible in the future.

I'm considering to play tennis again in the future, but will only do so while wearing some protection glasses. I saw that the Flak 2.0 glasses are top rated for tennis and i also like the look of them. So i'm wondering if these are sufficiently safe to play tennis with. The tennis court is not an industrial environment where chemicals fly around etc so not sure if the Z87.1 certification is a must, but balls can potentially come in hard. Chances of getting hit in the face are quite low so I don't mind if the glasses are broken after getting hit, i can always order new ones in case this should happen. I just want to make sure that my eyes will not get hurt again either by a ball or by the glasses.

I hope somebody can share some background on the safety of these glasses for ballsports like tennis.

Thanks, Mario.

Welcome to the forum! Flak’s would definitely be a good pair of tennis - generally a great all around sports pair. You can read a bit more about Oakleys and Z87.1 safety ratings at the link below but generally all lenses from Oakley are rated for impact resistance. It’s really about stamped frames when you start talking official “safety glasses”. But for your case would guess the Flaks are a good fit.

Welcome to the forum! Flak’s would definitely be a good pair of tennis - generally a great all around sports pair. You can read a bit more about Oakleys and Z87.1 safety ratings at the link below but generally all lenses from Oakley are rated for impact resistance. It’s really about stamped frames when you start talking official “safety glasses”. But for your case would guess the Flaks are a good fit.

The part i’m worried about, is whether the lens would pop out of the frame when getting hit with a ball frontal/centrally.

The part i’m worried about, is whether the lens would pop out of the frame when getting hit with a ball frontal/centrally.

The lenses can take a lot of force without popping out. And even more so in terms of shattering which is the much bigger risk imo. If a lens pops out it's one thing, if it shatters into your eye you're looking at serious injuries. Check out the video below - used to be pretty standard O marketing material.

Thanks for the video, it is impressive indeed!

About my remark of the lens popping out:
A lens that pops out and stays in 1 piece might not be an issue indeed, as long as the (sharp) edge of the lens doesn’t get in your eyeball but cuts on the bone/flesh around your eye. I don’t mind some cuts on the cheak and eyebrow. Although it will hurt, this will be damage that will heal eventually.

Although every real life scenario is very specific, maybe there is any real life feedback from people who got a full speed tennis- baseball, cricket or similar ball straight on the flake 2.0 lens? And as such, have their eye saved by wearing these glasses. That would be interesting to read.

Never use a half rim model when there is a possibly of objects hitting you, the lens will cut either your eye or face.

Use a full rim model, like the Fuel Cell for instance

This is what happens when your wear a half rim like the Radar

Miguel Cabrera to receive stitches after injury near eye

bilde.jpg

BAh7CGkKIgw0NjB4MjMwaQtsKwd2-dBPaQhpA124Ag.jpg

Of course all pro baseball players still use half rim models, because they look cool.
And if something happens to them the are insured for life, but for our tennis player Mario here, full rim is the safest way to go. 👍

Hi All,

I recently got injured by getting a tennis ball in my eye. Now 1 month later, my vision recovered to 40-50% but unfortunately it will never get to 100% again. My other eye is still 100% and i want to protect both eyes as much as possible in the future.

I'm considering to play tennis again in the future, but will only do so while wearing some protection glasses. I saw that the Flak 2.0 glasses are top rated for tennis and i also like the look of them. So i'm wondering if these are sufficiently safe to play tennis with. The tennis court is not an industrial environment where chemicals fly around etc so not sure if the Z87.1 certification is a must, but balls can potentially come in hard. Chances of getting hit in the face are quite low so I don't mind if the glasses are broken after getting hit, i can always order new ones in case this should happen. I just want to make sure that my eyes will not get hurt again either by a ball or by the glasses.

I hope somebody can share some background on the safety of these glasses for ballsports like tennis.

Thanks, Mario.
I'm pretty new to non x Metal glasses but I was recommended a jawbone by a member here and must say I'm impressed, they are full frame, wrap around and comfortable. Super easy to change lenses in as well and you can have different lenses for different days ie overcast, sunny, transition, or clear lenses for indoor

Latest Posts

Back