• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

PSA: Clean Your Frames!

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Here's a reminder you need to clean your frames as well as your lenses!

Just got this frame as part of a larger set and as I started to clean it nothing but chipped paint and dirt came off of it. This is the #1 reason M Frame lenses get scratched and marred inside the frame, and it pains me to see the lenses beat up so badly when all you need to do is clean out the frame.

These lenses have the iridium worn right off.
IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

I have lenses that are several years old and got swapped a lot. They have frame scratches, sure, but they don't look like they've been sand blasted!

All you need are some cotton swabs. Pull and pinch the end of the swab away from the core so it will reach into the frame's lens channel.

2012-09-15114905.jpg

Wet down the inside of the frame with cleaning spray, soap and water, etc. Run swabs in until they come out clean or close to it.

One pass in my daily wear frame, a little crud:
2012-09-15114739.jpg

One of the frames I just got needed a few more:
2012-09-15114351.jpg

And this one STILL isn't clean after a LOT of scrubbing! No wonder the god damn lenses were getting beat to hell in this frame!
2012-09-15113316.jpg

CLEAN YOUR FRAMES!

Thanks! I was wondering how to accomplish this on my sports frames. They all need this, just didn't quite know how to fit a micro fiber cloth in there. This will help!

Thanks! I was wondering how to accomplish this on my sports frames. They all need this, just didn't quite know how to fit a micro fiber cloth in there. This will help!

I also have a pack of cheap wooden shish kebab skewers that I cut down a bit and use with normal cotton balls. I use the point on those to clean crevices on the outside and hinges, but I was getting too much stuck in the lens channel and switched to Q tips.

You know Oaks arent cheap, I dont get how people treat them so badly.

The only frame I've come across that was as bad as this Pro sand was one that came back from Iraq. I got it from a surplus seller on ebay and it was thrashed bad and needed an overnight soak and dirt and crust scraped out of most crevices. The lenses with it were also scratched to **** inside the frame. BriP has the lenses, I gave them away as practice lens chop subjects since that's all they were good for.

The only frame I've come across that was as bad as this Pro sand was one that came back from Iraq. I got it from a surplus seller on ebay and it was thrashed bad and needed an overnight soak and dirt and crust scraped out of most crevices. The lenses with it were also scratched to **** inside the frame. BriP has the lenses, I gave them away as practice lens chop subjects since that's all they were good for.

The Iraq one I can understand. Im sure caring for glasses is the last thing on thier mind.

Geez, I just use an old tooth brush and brush the frame grooves under warm running water after I've popped the lenses out.

Are you cleaning it with fairy dust? :laugh: Ref picture#3, reminds me of Tinkerbell.

Latest Posts

Back