• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT-3D Glasses... PROPER WAY TO CONVERT

Ive seen quite a few posts recently of people buying 3D glasses (ie tron, tintin, transformer...) and buying seperate lenses to convert them into sunglasses.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.

1. the 3D lenses are not typical oakley lenses. They are a laminate construction, and WILL GET DAMAGED/PEEL if you remove them too many times. BEST IS TO LEAVE THEM IN.

2. The 3D models have a slightly different lens shape and the Sunglass equivalent lenses usually dont sit properly in the frame anyway... so again.. DONT DO IT!

Best way to get those cool designs on a sunglass frame is -

SWAP THE ARMS.

For example with the Tintin Gascans.

Get a spare normal rootbeer frame... then swap the arms! now you have tintin arms on a sunglass front section... no need to mess with the lenses at all!

please heed.. when 3D's first came out a few people wrecked their transformer and tron pairs.. i dont wanna see any more get damaged...

thanks guys

=)

Hmmmm. That's a good idea. I'm sure almost no one has thought of that.

Ill be sure to pass that on to anyone who thinks of swapping the lenses.

Thanks BriP

Hmmmm. That's a good idea. I'm sure almost no one has thought of that.

Ill be sure to pass that on to anyone who thinks of swapping the lenses.

Thanks BriP

no worries Frank! i remember someone else suggesting this awhile ago so credit to them.. cant remember if it was on this forum or another collector i met outside. It may have even been during one of the many conversations I've had with Dann (creator of O-review)!

just didnt wanna see any more of these get damaged =)

Great info.

Personally I've changed out the 3D lenses a few times and if you are delicate it's perfectly fine. But honestly the 3D frames are no different. There was speculation that they were at first because of the lack of knowledge and pictures but I've personally held up a 3D and non-3D Gascan orbital on top of each other and they are no different. Yes the 3D lenses are delicate but if you take your time and slowly remove the lenses you'll be fine. Sure they might peel after awhile but I just wouldn't make a habit of it. Doing it a couple of times shouldn't affect anything though.

I ordered a pair of the 3D Twitch's so I'll if they are anymore difficult to remove soon, as I'll be swapping the lenses into another Twitch frame.

Oakley Rocketfish

Great info.

Personally I've changed out the 3D lenses a few times and if you are delicate it's perfectly fine. But honestly the 3D frames are no different. There was speculation that they were at first because of the lack of knowledge and pictures but I've personally held up a 3D and non-3D Gascan orbital on top of each other and they are no different. Yes the 3D lenses are delicate but if you take your time and slowly remove the lenses you'll be fine. Sure they might peel after awhile but I just wouldn't make a habit of it. Doing it a couple of times shouldn't affect anything though.

I'm pretty sure the base curve is slightly different.

Feel free to compare but the two orbitals appeared to be 100% identical.

YMMV though. I'll compare the Twitch's when I receive them. I know the lenses are curved differently on the 3D pairs but I think it's because they flex slightly when installed since the lens material is similar to Lexan.

from wht i know, the curvature of the frame itself is different (the wrap). not unlike how asian fit models on some glasses have different wrap too. this just means your lenses will be under stress when installed and will count towards some distortion. which imo is a waste of oakley lenses. you wont be getting xyz optics..

asian fit glasses have flatter wraps and the lenses, if you notice, will also be less curved to suit.

anyway its just a suggestion.. why risk it when theres a safe alternative :)

Back