• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Qtobolos trip to Auschwitz.

qtobolo

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi and thanks for coming into my traveling post!

Me and my smarter half we took a trip to Polen and over the weekend, so I will share it with you guys.

Krakow was the Place we Went to in the Southern part of Polen. I enjoyed it alot, we lived right smack in the old Town and one of the places we saw justs outside the street was a Lovely small Church from before the war.

IMG_1114.JPG

the first day we visited one of the Castles, it belonged to the polish and Swedish King. King Sigismund he ruled Sweden a few years in the end of the 16th Century.

His crib looked like this.

IMG_1120.JPG

Please note my archenemy in the lower part of the Picture.

In Poland art is important and there are plenty of it on the street and everywhere like this window for instance.

IMG_1121.JPG

So one of the big reasons I wanted to go here its because of Auschwitz and I do mean it when I write this. The photos here might be disturbing. Viewer discretion is adviced.

IMG_1133.JPG

This is one of the most famolus gates maybe in the entire World. The sign here I think it was stolen and sold but I am not sure if thats a lie or if its the truth.

Once inside there are alot of brick buildnings looking like this.

IMG_1142.JPG

the guide told us having 150 tourists make one of these buildings kinda full but about 1000 prisoners could live in of of these I didnt count them but I would say its over 30 buildings like this one.

There was a group of prisoners called "sondercommando" they were forced with risk of their own lives assist the Nazis and one of them managed to smuggle in a camera I am not sure my pictures are of any of them but I will show some for you.

This photo is taken just Before the trainride to Auschwitz as you can see none of the people looks like they are in any kind of panic.
IMG_1164.JPG

Auschwitz was originally meant to hold either prisoners of war or politically "dangerous" individuals, so as you know the jewish population got the short end of the stick here but also homosexuals, Jehovas witnesses was arrested and sent here.

IMG_1146.JPG

like you see here there are prisoners coming from alof of places in Europé.

IMG_1181.JPG

Here you have the pesticide Zykolon-B one of these cans weight about 6 Kilograms it could kill 2000 people in 20-30 minutes.

the text on them was "giftig gas" in Swedish that meant poisonous gas I asked the guide if the Nazis had bought or ordered them from Sweden thank god they had not. Sweden was neutral in the war my take is that is very close of ally yourself with the enemy.

You can never imagne how many people got murdered in Auschwitz until you see the shoes... Mind you this is only a small fraction of the shoes they found.

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

Escaping from Auschwitz was very dangerous since the guards got paid bonuses for killing the prisoners, its known that two prisoners managed to escape from here since they got their hands on rubber gloves so they didnt get zapped from the fence here. I sure hope that more then just those two made it out but its not known as of right now.

IMG_1252.JPG

Here we are outside of the crematorium I think the brand Töff is still in buisness even now.

IMG_1258.JPG

it was scary looking in and scary looking out aswell. These are the original signs outside of the camp.

IMG_1136.JPG

I rarely do selfies, I do them when it matters as the author of this post I made this selfie with alot of respect for all the victims both living and dead.

IMG_1264.JPG

Moving on from Auschwitz to Birkenau as some of you know there was plenty of camps around in Polen, There was Treblinka and Stuffhof and some others but Birkenau made Auschwitz look like a 5 star hotell.

Spending a day here was indeed a very intressting look into the darkest corners of human psychology but also a day that had alot of rewards I strongly recommend going a weekend or so to Polen since it has alot to offer. Food and drinks are cheap and the people are very nice and friendly.

Thanks for reading I did not wish to disrespect anyone here but the trip was so good I thought I would share it with you guys.

Have a nice day
Tobias Olofsson

I haven’t been to Auschwitz (or Poland at all actually) but I have been to the camp at Dachau. It’s a troubling place, I wasn’t comfortable with the atmosphere even decades after what happened there.

The Zyklon B canisters show the similarity amongst Germanic languages. Poisonous is giftig in German, the same as Swedish and gas is Gas (nouns being capitalised). It’s usually rendered as a compound noun though, Giftgas. Separately it would be giftiges Gas.

I understand the main producer of the Zyklon B used in the camps was IG Farben, but other companies carried on making it long after the war, even using the same brand name.

Back