• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quality Pens

I made a round trip from Detroit to Hawaii via Phoenix in January. 5 security checks (Detroit, Phoenix terminal change, Hawaii, Hawaii secondary screening, Phoenix terminal change). I was waiting for my bags in Detroit, put my coat back on, which I had hand carried through all of the airports, and found a handful of live rounds in the pocket. A 9mm, and a couple 5.56 leftover from a range trip or whatever.

Made it onto every plane without issue with the coat going through X-ray.
Wow, that's shocking. I flew on a trip with some work guys to do some ABDR, (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair), and one of them accidentally left some 30.06 ammo in his carry-on bag from a hunting trip. He got taken in for questioning, and we almost missed our flight. Security had a hard time believing that it was an accident.

Wow I'll have to get one sometime... was just browsing about them. I wondered if the Damascus version would rust (as most Damascus will) but I see it's made from Damasteel, which is a version of damascus made through powder sintering instead of pattern welding, and it's stainless...

(BTW pretty much all Damascus you find these days is actually modern Damascus, launched in 1973 when William F. Moran figured out how to use pattern welding to make something that resembled original Damascus; the original Damascus steel, produced from around 300 BC until around 1750 AD, is a lost art - the original method of making it is not known today...)

[Dang I seem to be in a Font of Useless Knowledge mood today...]
Yeah man, they are beautiful pens. I have one on me at all times. The Damasteel one is just jaw-dropping. It's heavy as hell though, which I actually like. You don't have to push down when writing at all, the pen does most of the work. It's expensive, but damn worth it. Also, it will rust a little over time if not taken care of. Mine has shown tiny spots of rust that I just clean off from time to time.

I've done a lot of research in the past on Damascus myself. You're right, it has changed dramatically over time. I've got some acid etched Damascus pieces that are just gorgeous.

I made a round trip from Detroit to Hawaii via Phoenix in January. 5 security checks (Detroit, Phoenix terminal change, Hawaii, Hawaii secondary screening, Phoenix terminal change). I was waiting for my bags in Detroit, put my coat back on, which I had hand carried through all of the airports, and found a handful of live rounds in the pocket. A 9mm, and a couple 5.56 leftover from a range trip or whatever.

Made it onto every plane without issue with the coat going through X-ray.

I think the saddest part about all that is not that it wasn't found, but that it wasn't found in five separate screenings in a row by different screeners...

I keep saying airport security is a joke - what they should do is, instead of forbidding knives on planes, encourage them! Ever since 9/11 the game has changed - passengers are no longer passive in that sort of situation, they are now the biggest deterrent... who stopped the shoe guy and the underwear guy? Not security; the passengers did...

I love Damascus
ring.jpg

Me likey! Where did you acquire that ring?

I don’t know if it is the "real" stuff or not but i have not has a rust problem but it is on my finger so any beginnings of rust get rubbed off. only down side is it can’t be resized but my jeweler told me if i need to change sizes they will only charge me what it would cost to resize and give me a new ring in the required size.

I don’t know if it is the "real" stuff or not but i have not has a rust problem but it is on my finger so any beginnings of rust get rubbed off. only down side is it can’t be resized but my jeweler told me if i need to change sizes they will only charge me what it would cost to resize and give me a new ring in the required size.
Ahh damn you, now I want one of those. I would trade my platinum for a Damascus. There are some awesome designs out there for those rings!

With modern Damascus, the blank is made by alternating layers of tarnishable and shiny metals, welded together then twisted / manipulated to create the patterns. Usually some sort of acid etching is used as a final step to bring out the contrasts.

Which means there's a wide variety of metals that can be used to make modern Damascus, of varying quality. Whether that matters depends on what it'll be used for, i.e. knife blade vs. ornament.

I've learned that 1095 & 15N20 are popular among knifemakers to creates quality performance Damascus blades, but 1095 rusts very easily...

If by "real" you mean original Damascus, unlikely - most examples of that are in museums and very high-end private collections...

Beautiful ring, BTW...