• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quality Replacement Lenses for Oakley A-wire?

Peer81

Oakley Beginner
Hello everybody,

Very short introduction. I'm Peter, 32 years and from the Netherlands.
About 5 years ago I bought a nice Oakley A-wire 2.0 with Titanium frame and polarized lenses from ebay germany. I don't remember if the lenses are ice iridium polarized, vr28 blue iridium polarized or shallow blue polarized. Looking from the inside to the outside the lenses look a little reddish with some pink, from the outside in the sun the lenses look blue with some pink. But that is not the problem.

As I'm a user and not a collector this Oakley has seen China, Turkey and a vacation in Egypt. No need to say the lenses need to be replaced. I would love to get the same lenses back or Emerald lenses but I do want polarized lenses. As I'm searching the internet at night I see I'm already 10 years to late with his question as replacement kits are nowhere to be found. Now switched my search to the different ebay sites hoping to find a broken a-wire with perfect polarized lenses or a perfect a-wire for a good price. The A-wires on ebay are for a good price but as I have a still perfect titanium frame I don't need an extra frame I'm not going to use.

I'm also looking at the aftermarket lenses, but there I have a problem. I know the quality for the lenses Oakley uses but I don't know the quality of the different aftermarket brands.
I found visionary lenses which seems to make the best lenses (I think?) but as they don't make lenses for the a-wire so I have to wait.
On ebay you have Z-lenses and they make A-wire lenses but no polarized a-wire lenses. Per email they said they're going to start making polarized a-wire lenses at the first half of this year starting with their red lenses.
On the net I found SFx lenses and they have polarized lenses for a 2.0 a-wire. No blue ones but I was hoping of somebody could tell me something more about them. General tips or ideas are also welcome!

If somebody is interested I could always post some pictures of the lenses I have right now :)

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter,
I have new in box A Wire lenses. Black Iridium and Gold Iridium, neither polarized. Pics below. $85 via Paypal "gift". Shipping included.

This is a great site with a ton of people with a ton of great product and knowledge. I'm relatively new here as well. I would recommend NOT spending much time on this site - it just gets you excited about the brand which inevitably results in spending more money.

Your lenses would have been the VR28 Blue Iridium Polarized.

DSC04771.jpg

DSC04768.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04771.jpg
    DSC04771.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC04768.jpg
    DSC04768.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 608
Thanks everybody,

Very handy site the Oakley review :smile:
Sorry but i do want lenses that are polarized and I don't know for sure but I read somewhere that the polarized lenses are thicker then normal ones?
If somebody has another idea don't hessitate.

Greetings Peter

Oakley polarized lenses are not thicker than the standard lenses. They're the same size.

As far as your search goes, you're already on the right track. Ebay is your best bet. Even if you can't find just the lenses, you can buy a new frame and swap the lenses and sell the frame with the old, scratched lenses. If you don't want to go through the trouble and opt for aftermarket lenses, be careful as in my opinion, Oakley lenses are far superior to any of the aftermarket lenses out there in terms of quality and clarity. I've tried Visionary Lenses (VL) and their lenses are good, but not as clear. Also don't hold your breath with them making lenses as i've contacted VL about e-wire lenses and they only gave me empty promises.

Your other option is to bring your frames to a optician who can custom cut lenses for you. I'm sure they can also provide you with polarized lenses. If you can find an optician who is also an Oakley authorized retailer, you can have them see if their rep can source A-wire lenses for you.

I think your best option at this point is to get some lenses custom cut. We also have a resident lens cutter/frame customizer, Dr.Chop, who can custom cut any lens for you from original Oakley Lenses. PM him and see what he can do for you.

Not sure about everyone else, but I'd wear non-polarized Oakley in a second over any reproduction.

Hi Peter,
I have new in box A Wire lenses. Black Iridium and Gold Iridium, neither polarized. Pics below. $85 via Paypal "gift". Shipping included.

The titanium A wire line has different sized lens than the usual C-5 frame. It is larger.

Peter, your best bet is somewhat unconventional. You need to buy a set of Oakley spherical polarized lenses and take them, with your glasses, to an eyeglass shop or lab that has a cnc lens cutter. They can cut the lenses to fit your ti frames. SpliceD covered this nicely.

I am an enthusiast for the Ti A Wire, and in many years searching ebay, I have never seen a set of replacement lenses for sale.

Thanks for the replies SpliceD and OpinionatedOakley!

As I see it my options are even more limited then I had in mind. So I can only replace these lenses with other lenses that came out a titanium a-wire. Well saves my alot of ebay lookups :laugh:

The more I think about it the more I love the ruby / blue combination these lenses give. Could somebody give a link to a website where spherical polarized lenses are shown so I know where to look for. :biggrin: Cutting them overhere isn't a big problem as my girlfriend is in the optical lenses bussiness but she was hoping I would just buy new ones so she would have some extra shoppingtime.... :confused:
As I read it a spherical lens has such a shape any lens would be cut from it without any problem?
Thanks again everybody!

Greetings Peter

To give everybody an update,

It's so easy! I walked into the nearest Oakley store and a friendly women helped me. She took the sunglasses to look if there were any replacement glasses but she said I was right, there aren't any anymore.
So then we have to options left. She will call the dealer on tuesday and ask for more information (maybe he knows more). If not then I have two options. The first is to see which spherical lenses Oakley has as in store. Maybe the VR28 blue Poly is one of them but she couldn't find it in here system. If they have it or another good option lens then the store can cut it into the right shape and put it in my a-wire.
If not then the other option is letting the Europe Oakley factory in Ireland? make a set of VR28 blue poly spherical lenses. But then Oakley would also cut them inshape to my a-wire in the factory. She was thinking the last option would cost me between 300 to 350 euro's. But I will know all my options with prices on tuesday.

Greetings Peter

Back