• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question about my new Sapphire Iridium Polarized Holbrooks

gabriel123

Oakley Beginner
Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm not a full time sunglasses guy and my searches have not given me any useful results.

I have a recently purchased a pair of Holbrook matte black frames with Sapphire Iridium Polarized lenses. I noticed the center is a nice red or rose tint but when I turn my head and look at things from an angle, there seems to be a slight change to a greenish, yellowish tint. On further inspection, I realized the center of each lens is a rose/red tint but towards the outer edges of each side, it starts to turn greenish. It's a weird effect I'm still getting used to. I do recall my Ray Ban's with a similar style and blue mirrored lenses having the same effect where there is a difference in color in the center of the lens compared to the outer edges, but a little more subtle.

As mentioned, I'm not really a sunglasses guy but I don't recall having noticed this in other colored lenses. I can't tell if this is intentional or a result of mixing the colors with the mirrored finish, what use this effect is supposed to accomplish, like maybe reduce glare on the sides of the lenses or something like that. It's quite odd but it doesn't bother me so I won't be replacing them, I would just like to understand better from anyone who might know more about this particular effect how or why they are like this.

Also, the pair I picked up has a really strong plastic smell, sort of like a slightly burned plastic. Quite noticeable when worn. Not something I've ever encountered with Oakley's or any sunglasses in general. Seems like the frame but could be the lens or something sprayed on the lens. I tried wiping it down with a damp absorbent cloth but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Likely from the manufacturing process, I don't know if this smell will dissipate over time or maybe indicative of the plastics used going bad or something like that.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm not a full time sunglasses guy and my searches have not given me any useful results.

I have a recently purchased a pair of Holbrook matte black frames with Sapphire Iridium Polarized lenses. I noticed the center is a nice red or rose tint but when I turn my head and look at things from an angle, there seems to be a slight change to a greenish, yellowish tint. On further inspection, I realized the center of each lens is a rose/red tint but towards the outer edges of each side, it starts to turn greenish. It's a weird effect I'm still getting used to. I do recall my Ray Ban's with a similar style and blue mirrored lenses having the same effect where there is a difference in color in the center of the lens compared to the outer edges, but a little more subtle.

As mentioned, I'm not really a sunglasses guy but I don't recall having noticed this in other colored lenses. I can't tell if this is intentional or a result of mixing the colors with the mirrored finish, what use this effect is supposed to accomplish, like maybe reduce glare on the sides of the lenses or something like that. It's quite odd but it doesn't bother me so I won't be replacing them, I would just like to understand better from anyone who might know more about this particular effect how or why they are like this.

Also, the pair I picked up has a really strong plastic smell, sort of like a slightly burned plastic. Quite noticeable when worn. Not something I've ever encountered with Oakley's or any sunglasses in general. Seems like the frame but could be the lens or something sprayed on the lens. I tried wiping it down with a damp absorbent cloth but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Likely from the manufacturing process, I don't know if this smell will dissipate over time or maybe indicative of the plastics used going bad or something like that.
Some of the nicest lens to look at aren't really the nicest lenses to look through. Sapphire, Ruby are outright culprits.If that uneven tint gives you headaches (it definitely does for me), you're better off with lenses like Prizm Black or Daily Polarized which have an uniform tint throughout, but miss out in terms of looks.

I just sent back my holbrook with the sapphire prizm lenses cause I was getting splitting headaches.

Anyone know if the jade lenses are uniform throughout or is it the same effect?

I just sent back my holbrook with the sapphire prizm lenses cause I was getting splitting headaches.

Anyone know if the jade lenses are uniform throughout or is it the same effect?
Jade is better, if you really like the blue color get Prizm deep water, those don’t get that gradient color when looking through them. Prizm sapphire polarized does have that look when looking through them.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've had a day to wear them and gradient colors do annoy me but not to the point that I would want exchange them. I guess it's a relief to know this isn't some kind of defect. I need a pair of blue sunglasses and these are the best looking one on me that I've tried.

As for the plastic smell, it's definitely coming from the frame and not the lens. It seems to be dissipating but it's still very noticeable. Either that or I'm getting used to the smell of it. I'll keep it a few days and see if it disappears before exchanging them.

One more thing I would like to ask about, as I was taking a closer look at the frame, the area on the inside of one of the nosepads has a smoothed out bit where as on the other side, you can see the mold lines along the plastic. I'm wondering if this smoothed out area is indicative of anything or if maybe it's just part of the manufacturing process for these frames. I run my finger along it and there is a very subtle bump compared to the other side, but not something that affects the fit or balance as far as I can tell.

here is a pic:

gZDcnA8.jpg

Back