• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question About Paypal And Fees

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Username Hidden said:
last 2 times i sent money gifted, they charged me too! not the 3% or whatever but a couple of bucks. I wonder if were still protected when gifting money since they charge fees?
Fees on gift/personal payment/payment owed etc are charged when it is NOT a balance transfer. If it comes from a credit card or bank, you pay fees. As for anything else, you now open yourself up also as a seller. It's JUST LIKE EBAY...Don't EVER forget it. Ebay owns paypal, hence the reason why they have all these nifty things like SNAD....Significantly Not As Described...Yeah, that's right, ya wanna open yourself up as a seller, accept those fees, make em pay, uh huh....And sit back and wait. You will get screwed eventually. Like, "I paid for a Pit Boss, you send me a fake"...Yup, ask BADPD77, he is very familiar with the 'ole hose job. A payment owed, gift, etc also protects the seller. When a buyer has an issue paying that way, I refund it or refuse. I don't care personally one way or the other. I have also been burned several times and it is just now a policy. Also, read the fine print for a 1099-k..Ya wanna pay income tax here in the states at the end of the year? If people are honest on both sides, then it will be understood and accepted. If not, there will be a fuss made, and you simply don't do the deal or try a bank to bank transfer. Postal Money orders work to but have to be the USPS ones. And trust me, even the others can be disputed. Just dealt with one for a deal my son did through Craigslist. Even the paypal guy had no explanation as to how it was possible. Just be honest, deal on the up and up, and it should all work itself out.

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
Fees on gift/personal payment/payment owed etc are charged when it is NOT a balance transfer. If it comes from a credit card or bank, you pay fees. As for anything else, you now open yourself up also as a seller. It's JUST LIKE EBAY...Don't EVER forget it. Ebay owns paypal, hence the reason why they have all these nifty things like SNAD....Significantly Not As Described...Yeah, that's right, ya wanna open yourself up as a seller, accept those fees, make em pay, uh huh....And sit back and wait. You will get screwed eventually. Like, "I paid for a Pit Boss, you send me a fake"...Yup, ask BADPD77, he is very familiar with the 'ole hose job. A payment owed, gift, etc also protects the seller. When a buyer has an issue paying that way, I refund it or refuse. I don't care personally one way or the other. I have also been burned several times and it is just now a policy. Also, read the fine print for a 1099-k..Ya wanna pay income tax here in the states at the end of the year? If people are honest on both sides, then it will be understood and accepted. If not, there will be a fuss made, and you simply don't do the deal or try a bank to bank transfer. Postal Money orders work to but have to be the USPS ones. And trust me, even the others can be disputed. Just dealt with one for a deal my son did through Craigslist. Even the paypal guy had no explanation as to how it was possible. Just be honest, deal on the up and up, and it should all work itself out.

Yes, i know all too well. Paypal and ebay are so buyer slanted its absurd. I do very little selling thru ebay anymore because, as a seller, you are at a major disadvantage. The paypal "protection" is only one sided and anyone who tells u different is simply not seeing the reality of the situation.

Username Hidden said:

well so far the people ive dealt here all been good and trustworthy, and im the same way!

Not to say many are, but it is just par for the course these days with paypal. As Stephen said, they are so buyer slanted it's absurd. Makes me sick to see how ridiculously one sided ebay has become. And the worst part is, the SELLERS pay the damn fees. Buyers don't pay sh!t...

Thank you for all of the great info you guys.. I'm all about an honest, straight forward transaction where both parties can be happy. Hopefully I have some luck selling some of my collection, although it hurts me a lot to be giving up some of these babies.

Who's only paying 3%? I get charged 4%!

PayPal works on one level but on another level it's quite extortionate. They charge 4% per transaction (if it's not a gift payment). However, is any extra work involved in transferring £500 compared to £50, I don't think so, so how come they charge more. Surely it should just be a flat fee.

It's like listing on eBay. If you list an auction at £1 they charge a 10p listing fee. If you start the exact same listing at £100 they charge £1 listing fee. Why? It's the exact same listing with the exact same copy and the exact same photos, all that's changed is the asking price. It can't cost more to host the listing because you added a 0 to the asking price surely? It's total BS, it should be a flat fee. eBay and PayPal have such a monopoly they can screw people every which way, we need a serious competitor to come in and shake things up.

People have tried but it's hard to beat the name and the advantages people offer. Unfortunately you can't beat the convenience and novelty of PayPal/eBay and they can charge whatever they want.

And honestly with the protection they offer it's hard to beat.