• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question About Radar Icon Colors

Quinning

Oakley Beginner
Montana
Hey all,
First time poster, long time lurker. I am currently in the process of customizing some new Radars to replace my M-Frames that were stolen a few days ago. I just wanted to get some clarification and possibly photos of the true color of the Gold, Polished Gold, and Team Vegas Gold icons. It is my last decision I need to make to complete. I am currently running Plasma Frames, White Socks, and Gold Vented Iridium lenses with Black Vented Iridium backups (both Range). Which of the golds would Jive the best with the Gold lenses? Also, would Team Dark Green look good as well? I wanted them to look more "business time" instead of what I had before. Thanks in advance!

-STQ

Polished gold with Gold Iridium I would think. Vegas is a much darker, mustard color and I think the frames in Vegas have a metallic flake.

Are you choosing Gold lenses for looks, or do you like the tint? I have gold polarized for my Flaks and I stopped wearing them, just wasn't a fan.

Preferably both looks and tint. I was using Fire Iridium for the past decade, so I guess take that into consideration. The color contrast was awesome in my opinion. I used to play baseball and fell in love with rimless frames that look good and have utility for outdoor activities such as fishing during the summer. I didn't want to get polarized for a few reasons, chiefly, I have a problem with my depth perception when I wear them, and it just exacerbates my visual acuity as I am legally blind in my left eye.

My main glasses are M-Frames, I just got a set of Radars and I'm not a big fan of them. Changing lenses is slower and the stems don't have nearly as much wrap and flex. They weigh a bit more, so I don't really ever forget they're on like my M's. The temples of the frames where the icons are aren't outside my range of peripheral vision, and the nose piece has the arm that is visible.

They're great glasses, don't get me wrong. The Range has about as much coverage as the Heater, if not slightly more so since the Heater has that gap where the lens cuts back to attach to the frame. The fit on me just isn't as organic feeling as wearing an M with Heaters.

I wasn't a fan of Fire either. But gold doesn't give a lot of contrast, it adds a yellow/gold hue without enhancing colors or providing enhanced definition like VR does. It's not as much of a looker as you might think, either. 24K is a brilliant lens, Gold is much more muted.

Well thanks for the heads up, I went ahead and ordered them, I had to compromise form and function. Not a big fan of the new M-Frame frame colors, and I don't need the wrap I once did for super active sports. I wanted to try something new, and I like the single frame-less lenses, however the Jacket family was tempting, so I guess we will find out soon enough. Will definitely post a pic when I get them. Also, I am curious, where could I find some 24k lenses for them? That was definitely my first choice looking at the reviews, but was pretty disappointed that the option wasn't even offered.

I don't think they made a 24k lens for the Radar.

I only mention it because I had seen "gold" before I bought my gold iridium lenses and was slightly disappointed they weren't the same as 24k.

Yeah, I assume someone makes an aftermarket version perhaps. I remember some company made really sweet kinds for my Wisdoms that were definitely not available from Oakley stock at all. I wish I remembered who they were.

Back