• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question: Design line, what the current model of Juliet/Penny line?

jakobdam

Oakley Beginner
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but also to highend sunglasses in general. I have a pair of Juliet that I bought way back, and although they're fine, I'd like a pair more... because I like redundancy for things I fancy.

But the Juliet model was discontinued a long time ago, and it looks like it was succeeded by Double X and since then, Penny. Both of which are also discontinued...

As you all probably know, prices on eBay are through the roof for these popular discontinued models (hey, I could sell my Juliets and have a vacation on another continent for a week, for what they seem to be worth).

So my question is: What is the current iteration in this design line? Browsing the Oakley website, I can't quite match the look and feel of the Juliet in any of the current lineup.

Whisker comes fairly close from what I can see, so I just ordered a pair online, because ... curiosity, the cat and all that.

But I'm confident you people in here know way more about this than me.

Nothing will ever compare to the x-metal line. That process was bonkers. Most juliets won't buy you a plane ticket to any other continent , nevermind a vacation. Whisker is a wire frame. Read about xmetals and how they were made and you will be convinced.

Nothing will ever compare to the x-metal line. That process was bonkers. Most juliets won't buy you a plane ticket to any other continent , nevermind a vacation. Whisker is a wire frame. Read about xmetals and how they were made and you will be convinced.
Thanks for the answer! So, the entire x-metal line is now deprecated...? Are there any plans to revive it again (announcements, rumors)...?

Nope. They have their place in history.
Damn... I just read about the MUZM and there could be hopes that the research they did for making it possible, could lead to a non-limited edition relaunch of the Romeo and Juliet models.

But since that was in 2021 and we're now 2 years later and no such announcement has been made, hope is rather sparse...

I know that the Whisker doesn't really look like the Juliet, but it was kind of the closest-in-kin I could find from an overall design point of view. So I hope I like them, at least enough to keep them.

Gotta take extra care of my Juliets now that it seems that similar models don't even exist (inside of Oakley, there are plenty of similar look-alikes / design tributes from other brands, but I want Oakley).

Or... there's always this forum's x-metal exchange. I'd rather want to buy new, but seeing as that's impossible, I'll dive into what's for sale and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your time!

Even the muzm pairs don't compare. They are printed. No molten vats of titanium in that process. No craftsmanship. That's what made them special and why each one is different. Well , slightly different at least.

Damn... I just read about the MUZM and there could be hopes that the research they did for making it possible, could lead to a non-limited edition relaunch of the Romeo and Juliet models.

But since that was in 2021 and we're now 2 years later and no such announcement has been made, hope is rather sparse...

I know that the Whisker doesn't really look like the Juliet, but it was kind of the closest-in-kin I could find from an overall design point of view. So I hope I like them, at least enough to keep them.

Gotta take extra care of my Juliets now that it seems that similar models don't even exist (inside of Oakley, there are plenty of similar look-alikes / design tributes from other brands, but I want Oakley).

Or... there's always this forum's x-metal exchange. I'd rather want to buy new, but seeing as that's impossible, I'll dive into what's for sale and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your time!
Enjoy your time here. I have and continue to.

Thanks for your time!
"non-limited edition" sorry, but everything is finite.........

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but also to highend sunglasses in general. I have a pair of Juliet that I bought way back, and although they're fine, I'd like a pair more... because I like redundancy for things I fancy.

But the Juliet model was discontinued a long time ago, and it looks like it was succeeded by Double X and since then, Penny. Both of which are also discontinued...

As you all probably know, prices on eBay are through the roof for these popular discontinued models (hey, I could sell my Juliets and have a vacation on another continent for a week, for what they seem to be worth).

So my question is: What is the current iteration in this design line? Browsing the Oakley website, I can't quite match the look and feel of the Juliet in any of the current lineup.

Whisker comes fairly close from what I can see, so I just ordered a pair online, because ... curiosity, the cat and all that.

I really like the current whiskers but to everybody‘s point it’s a pretty big step up to Juliet (wire vs x-metal etc.). If you really like the Juliets I’d just stick around here and pick up one in the exchange once you get access.

why not buy a pair in the exchange on this forum? juliets are plentiful and priced the least of the x-metals. definitely better than what you will find on ebay.

Back