• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question On Icons

bouncing_boy77

Oakley Expert
i have two sets of icons for my half jackets, one is silver and one is gold. i was just wondering if they were really molded from that color or they were just painted? reason i asked is that if they were just painted, then most probably the base color for the icon would be black and what do i need to take off the paint and make them black. i really don't wanna paint them over as they're too small anyways.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I believe Dr. Chop just said recently in another thread that all the icons are a chrome base and that the paint can be stripped with acetone.
if you aren't worried about it being durable, get some testors candy laquer blue (or tamiya) at your local hobby store...icons are all chrome underneath, so strip the color off with acetone or lacquer thinner, spray with candy, then use a clear laquer to top coat...acrylic wont be as shiny fro a spray can

Here is the original thread its from-

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-for-racing-jacket-oakley-reps-no-help.18180/

the icons are metal, and i believed were coated or anodised. underneath, it is a MIRROR finish silver.

to get flat black, you will have to paint them

yeah, just dipped them in acetone and the chrome is still a bit to yellow for me. not sure though if they are metal. i think i'll just paint them now that i've stripped the coating.

Its metal for sure, but if you cut through the chrome layer, its a goldish yellow metal, like brass or something. Usually i just use paint thinner and the paint wrinkles off, then i just wipe it right off

thanks! yeah, i'm down to that goldish yellow metal. i'll just have to see how it'll look on the frame then decide later if i wanna paint over it.

you went way too far. you simply use a Q Tip cotton swab and soak it in acetone or lacquer thinner and rub until the top color is gone. I have NEVER soaked them since that breaks apart the metal top from the plastic filler part under. That's a bad thing if you stripped off the chrome if you want an "anodized" look...for matte opaque colors, no problem, paint it...

hey doc, thanks for chiming in. i only used nail polish remover, which i think might be the same strenght as acetone. here's how it looks now:

IMAG0938_zpseb5f783e.jpg

i'll see how it'll look on the frame and decide if i wanna paint over it.

that is clean...chrome is still in tact and you can do lots with that. looks fine to me lol

Back