• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question on plasma finishes

Before-and-after.jpg

The other pin isn't pressed in all the way on the before picture. I see that a lot on some of the older stuff .the pin simply worked its way out. My pins are so close to OEM dimensions most people's micrometers couldn't pick it up. They are machined from 304 stainless bar stock.

lol now I feel like I should find the cheapest most busted up pair if they are going through you anyway :D
Most people do...call them beater frames. You’d be surprised what they sell for, too. For $50more, on average, you can usually get a pair good enough to wear.

Yea......beater pairs dryed up about 4 years ago.once people started tuning these things up and customizing, all the beaters became rebuilt customs.

Pretty sure 1st gen isn't pvd. Pvd is super thin. Ive blasted off some 1st gen plasma that is as thick as chrome plating on
Also, 2nd gen onward had no coating. Only the 1st gen had the bone finish.
2nd gen did have some sort of coating that's why they oxidized as well and turned goldish. 3rd 4th and 5th I don't recall but one one of those has a coating as well. It just doesn't turn gold like 2nd gen.

Last edited:
You are right, a beater pair just went for $205 on ebay. And there are nice ones in the exchange here for less than $30 more. But I have 8 days to go till I can access the exchange ;(

Back