• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question on plasma finishes

yeah exactly. theres that one and another one too. I don't even know who the sellers are since I don't have access. I'm seriously considering going premium because I'm an impatient impulsive bastard. I'd get mileage out of that frame before sending it to x-man. Although apparently if I decided it wasn't for me I wouldn't be able to unload it to save my life :D

Last edited:
2nd gen did have some sort of coating that's why they oxidized as well and turned goldish. 3rd 4th and 5th I don't recall but one one of those has a coating as well. It just doesn't turn gold like 2nd gen.

2nd gen may well have had a slight something on due to the light gold effect on some.

yeah exactly. theres that one and another one too. I don't even know who the sellers are since I don't have access. I'm seriously considering going premium because I'm an impatient impulsive bastard. I'd get mileage out of that frame before sending it to x-man. Although apparently if I decided it wasn't for me I wouldn't be able to unload it to save my life :D
He’s a great seller. So don’t let that stop you.

I'm pretty sure 5th gen is bare titanium but I know 3rd or 4th definitely has something on it was well cause if you try to anodize it it's gets weird circles all over the finish and doesn't anodize.

It seems like there’s some discussion about possible coatings on these later generation frames. I’m happy to know that the x-man can just blast them away and then all is well :) I haven’t heard of any issues with his plasma finish.

Last edited:
The VP of product development at HQ says first gen plasma is a PVD coating.im guessing he knows more than any of us on this subject.

Back