• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions For Jim Jannard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate on how lens shapes for sports pairs are created? I've always wondered how all of the M Frame shapes came about. The original Hybrid being my favorite look and I'm happy I've found one in good shape, but I'm curious as to why it (and others) went away. And perhaps why new lens shapes never really come out to refresh a long-time running frame like the M Frame, Radar, or others.

Also, can you confirm the story behind the creation of the Strip lens, an athlete dragging a lens on the concrete to shape it until it was what he wanted?

Thanks so much for being here and answering questions Jim!

IMHO the Heater was the best shape. The bottom arc was designed to match the cheekbone. The lower corner was extended for peripheral vision. The notch at the outer top was designed for ventilation in the least used part of one's vision.

It was form follows function all the way.

Jim

The Heater is my favorite to wear, I just love the styling of the old Hybrid with the way it spikes at the peripheral. I have about a dozen or so Heater lenses.

Let me re-state. I own a lot of LUX stock. I am not the majority shareholder.

Jim

now that would be a shocker! Tables turned lol. We could only wish.. Here's one that sparks my interest: When the deal was done between Oakley and Lux, were all of the patents included as part of the transaction, or were they exclusive? I would assume they were included as property of Oakley, but was curious. Oh, what about the deal between you and Billy Lane about the chopper? I was told by then employees as the story went, you approached him to build a bike with a blank check, and he refused. Something to the effect of referring you to the guys at OCC...That is what led you to have the designers and team at HQ build a better hubless drive system and the chopper that sat in the lobby for some time (and the tile with the burnout mark on it lol). That always fascinated me. Do you have that bike still?

MFrameGen2-1_edited-1_zpsf84460de.jpg

My favorite M-Frame lenses are the Heater Fire iridium and Hi-persimmon.

mine by far was the original hybrid shape in blue iridium

now that would be a shocker! Tables turned lol. We could only wish.. Here's one that sparks my interest: When the deal was done between Oakley and Lux, were all of the patents included as part of the transaction, or were they exclusive? I would assume they were included as property of Oakley, but was curious. Oh, what about the deal between you and Billy Lane about the chopper? I was told by then employees as the story went, you approached him to build a bike with a blank check, and he refused. Something to the effect of referring you to the guys at OCC...That is what led you to have the designers and team at HQ build a better hubless drive system and the chopper that sat in the lobby for some time (and the tile with the burnout mark on it lol). That always fascinated me. Do you have that bike still?
All patents and designs stayed with Oakley. I'm not sure where you heard the Billy Lane story but it isn't accurate.

Jim

All patents and designs stayed with Oakley. I'm not sure where you heard the Billy Lane story but it isn't accurate.

Jim

It sounded fairly far fetched. Was the Oakley Chopper a full in house design and manufactured piece? It would be cool to learn more about it since it was such a cool attitude type piece all raw and angry looking right in the lobby...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back