• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quitting smoking....

I quit smoking cold turkey, but the option was an easy one for me, either quit or my girlfriend murders me in my sleep. :behindsofa:
My gf has been so supportive for this whole process... Took care of me during the first week when I thought I was going to die! She has seen her dad, a smoker of 30+ years, try to quit so many times and just keeps encouraging me. But I'm scared straight after what I have gone through, won't touch another tobacco product ever again. I just need to get over the psychological withdrawal symptoms (anxiety) and I'll feel so much better...

If you can afford to put on some weight, then keep the green stuff in with the diet. The lack of the appetite suppressant effect of the cigarettes added with the 'munchy" combo of the green should help you put on a couple of pounds... ;)

If you've made it through the first month without any slip ups, it should be relatively easy going forward. The withdrawal symptoms should pass.

I was able to stop by slowing down with a dip. I used the kind that came in Individual pouches so it did not leave a mess. I could take them out easily enough to take a drink and it would last a long time. Started with 3 at a time and dropped down quickly. I did not even finish off the can I had purchased. I believe it is all a mental thing. I had enough of smoking and felt it did not contribute enough in my life to continue. I have never looked back or felt the need to smoke again. If you truly want to quit you will. It is simple. Any one who fails did not have the desire to quit in the first place, only to put it on hold.

Keep at it and it gets better. Stay focused on the positive things that will come from it. When you feel the need remind your self why you want to stop, how it does nothing good for you. Only drains your bank and life.

Sounds like you're past the hurdle of the physical addiction but are still dealing with the mental addiction part. Which is the thing that usually causes relapse.

You may or may not find medication attractive, but I would recommend a prescription for bupropion. It's prescribed both for smoking cessation (as Zyban) and as an anti-depressant (as Wellbutrin), and should be the perfect fit for the problems you're describing.

You can read more about it here:

Bupropion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I switched to ecigs 6 years ago and have had maybe 10 cigarettes in that span. Ecigs really help with the need to be doing something with your hands and get you the nicotine fix you're craving.

I started on the medium nicotine levels and now use the low or zero nicotine liquids, and sometimes go months at a time without even thinking about having a vape. It's more of a hobby than an addiction at this point. Going cold turkey is tough man. Having a guilt free way of getting that nicotine and weening yourself off of it gradually is a good strategy, and being able to physically do that "smoking motion" is also therapeutic and what gives ecigs a leg up on other cessation methods like patches and gum in my opinion. Also, once I got used to the tobacco flavor of an ecig, the flavor of burning tobacco in a cigarette was disgusting to me. It changed my brain from liking the flavor of cigarettes to hating it. I don't even do tobacco flavors anymore.

I'd suggest picking up a starter kit from Blu. You can find them in most gas stations. Look for the blu plus+ kit, not the premium 100 or regular kit. The plus+ kit batteries and cartridges last longer than the others. If you want lower level nicotine cartridges you'll probably have to order from their website though. The kit comes with a pack of tobacco flavor in high nic and I've only ever seen high nic cartridge packs at gas stations.

Good luck with whatever method you go with. Stay strong!

I quit last year using ecigs. I have quit before, but was miserable those times. I have found the ecig to help very much.

The studies are still on the fence about them. But I find it much more enjoyable way of quitting. It's less pain and suffering.

I do plan on quitting the ecig (how ironic). But it's just so convenient to sneak a quick vape in.

Keep it up man! It does get easier!

I quit smoking nov 3 2007 and owe it to chantix. I will crave a smoke for the rest of my life. As the saying goes " if I can quit anybody can". My sister in law uses the e- cig, swears by them. One day at a time. Good luck.

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Wondering if anyone here has ever quit smoking? I am a month out and having a difficult time, looking for someone to talk to about their experience and hate most of the other forums (the only people that seem to stick around quitting forums are people still having problems which gets depressing quickly). I decided to quit cold turkey after having some other unrelated health complications, and am starting to really struggle with anxiety and the resulting IBS. Just looking for another outlet for support as at this point I'll take any encouragement I can find, but I am never going back!
Guy goes to the doctor, doc asks how can I help,guy says I've got trouble with my smoking and masturbation,doc says how many a day? Guy says 15 doc,it's the smoking in can't get down!

Latest Posts

Back