• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 Beginnings

CigarAficionado

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I just picked up a pair of Romeo that has a story to go with it. Here it is:

The seller was an executive at a Sunglass Hut in LA and she was one of the lucky few who was invited to the premiere of Mission Impossible II. Supposedly, all of the Hollywood executives and Oakley partner executives (ie Sunglass Hut execs) present at the event were give a pair of Romeo as a marketing promotion, as the sunglasses made their worldwide debut in the movie.

That's the story in a nutshell. I was told that the Sunglass Hut might have a serial number repository for Oakley sunglasses where I can verify the frames I just picked up as being at that event.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this?

Jim, help me out here. @jim jannard

Last edited:
Thanks.

I'm not an R1 expert, but weren't the first R1s the Jordans with the four digit serials? What was the timing of the Jordan R1s relative to the MI2 premiere?

Not sure.

Who's to say how quickly the 4-digit serials were produced. Perhaps by the time the 6-digit serials started is when MI II was being released.

I'm hoping Jim chimes in. I'm sure he has the answer.

Good luck.

FYI I don't think you get an alert if you were tagged during a post edit, only if you were tagged in the initial post... I might be wrong but I think I've tried that before and it didn't work.

@i am rich

Just promo bag handouts. Nothing special about them and no way to prove they were from that.
And i dont think sunglass hut was carrying oakleys back then....but i could be wrong.

Back