• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 lens legit?

i've a large number of R1's in my collection and iirc there are variations with those trashed lenses. Even the curvature for some didn't seem right either.

if you have doubts its fake?? I guess it is. You rarely see fake etchings though, BUT don't go to conclusions the best way is to compare it. I remember having a polarized etching on my fire lenses on a Juliet and that came from the vault and I am sure those are legit. It feels like a stamp rather than lasered. if I have the time I will look for it.

The real issue is the thickness of the lenses. See this comparison of a real R1 lens and the "fake" one. Dodgy one to left as you look at picture. Yes, first time I've seen this kind of fake lens before.
Fake lens 2.jpg

Is there a story behind the suspicious lenses?
Only a tragedy in that I was ripped off. I'm going to rectify the situation if I can. I consider myself fairly experienced and astute when making deals, but in future will be much more careful checking the font of the engraving and even go so far as to ask about thickness, if in any doubt.

Let this be a lesson to us all!

I doubt it's fake. No one makes a one off fake... Plus the knowledge required to understand that a R1 lens is even worth faking goes beyond the capacity of those producing fakes.

So... Want to sell those fire lenses?

I doubt it's fake. No one makes a one off fake... Plus the knowledge required to understand that a R1 lens is even worth faking goes beyond the capacity of those producing fakes.

So... Want to sell those fire lenses?
You know what, I felt exactly the same way. It just seems highly unlikely someone would bother or be this close, but not perfect. Sadly though, I've never had an OEM lens with an inconsistent thickness that slightly distorts vision on the etching side. i have to conclude it's either fake or an Oakley botch (less likely by far!)

Sure, I'll sell them to you. $250 and no claims, no returns ;-)

There have been other examples out there of fake etched lenses for various frames. I'm not saying these are, but it's not unprecedented.

Back