• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 lens legit?

I was kidding Btw.

For the record there are variations of etching and lens thickness for R1 lenses. However your fire lens is suspect not because of thickness variation and etching not following lens curve. It's the fact that the lettering is warped for each character that leads me to believe it wasn't etched with proper equipment or it's a manufacturing defect.

There is a plausible explanation that it may be the fact the machine was misaligned and/or poorly calibrated. Faking these are not impossible and obviously cannot be done by your average Joe. If you're in serious doubt you can always park it next to mine for a free detailed evaluation.
PE_20151024221842.jpg

I'm not kidding about lens thickness. I've lost count how many R1s i have... Note bottom lens and 3rd to last.

View attachment 192826
Right but internally consistent. Meaning the thickness is even within a single lens. The 'fake' is thiker one side than the other, distorting vision slightly. Good info. though that the thickness from R1 OEM to OEM can vary.

Yes sir they are. I spent 2hrs at the store checking each of the lens. Had an awesome personal shopper :)
By the way, if they were my R1 replacements, I wouldn't stack them up like that. Too much risk of iridium abrasion. Keep them in their individual bags.

By the way, if they were my R1 replacements, I wouldn't stack them up like that. Too much risk of iridium abrasion. Keep them in their individual bags.
Yeah, I winced a bit at that. Some looked like they had been mounted before anyway though.

R1 lenses are all kept individually and only taken out for photo shoot. Stacking was carefully placed to show true thickness. The things i do for the community...

Back