• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 lenses etching differences ? Mirror coating differences?

Walter Langkowski

ブンプ
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Las Vegas Nevada
So I have 2 sets of R1 etched lenses and they are pretty different

The lenses with the wider X has much more mirror to it almost chrome

The lenses with the skinner X have a more flat deep black color with not a lot of mirror reflection compared to the other one.

Can anyone shed light on the differences in the X etching and the differences in the mirror coating

3856643F-69EF-4D3F-BC0E-8E066488CB39.jpeg

79CED7AE-11D9-45BC-92ED-8761EF447FED.jpeg

there are variations in the etching, but to @mickeyblackeyes point, do the lenses both seem authentic? thickness, beveling, etc? also the iridium bake has a variation in huesjust like how Ice lenses will have blue/green hues, ruby purple/fire hues, and emerald golden/bright green.
Oh okay yeah i got curious as well because a friend showed me these aftermarket R1 lenses in different colors with xmetal etching. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between these and the oem black iridium just from the photos

Oh okay yeah i got curious as well because a friend showed me these aftermarket R1 lenses in different colors with xmetal etching. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between these and the oem black iridium just from the photos
Yeah gotta feel it out lol.

I pulled out some lenses that were beside me and the top one for sure it's the oldest I got them from the dealer who sold me his XL large vault R1.

The etching had a squished x and the iridium is darker than the others the bottom one is the lightest

IMG_20210908_135910.jpg

IMG_20210908_135949.jpg

IMG_20210908_140007.jpg

IMG_20210908_140053.jpg

IMG_20210908_135958.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah gotta feel it out lol.

I pulled out some lenses that were beside me and the top one for sure it's the oldest I got them from the dealer who did me his XL large vault R1.

The etching had a squished x and the iridium is darker than the others the bottom one is the lightest

View attachment 898966

View attachment 898967

View attachment 898968

View attachment 898969

View attachment 898970
Damn i never knew. Now i gotta check my lenses when i get home. I thought only the mj had the skinny X

Damn i never knew. Now i gotta check my lenses when i get home. I thought only the mj had the skinny X
the top lens with the skinny came from where I got one of my Jordans, but it has a bump in the corner. I have not taken my Jordan R1s to check if they have the lens bumps or not, I have a low Serial and High Serial.

Back