• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 nosebridge's screw broken & stuck - Help!

this It will b a hard case but I'm looking for it How u solve the problem

coz I think this Could b a situation to happen with every x metal

it's not impossible to fix. I've fixed a few broken screws jammed into Juliet orbs like that. The only risk is the frame needs to be refinished as a worst case scenario

If you can try in a spot that doesn't show damaged to the finish (underneath an earsock etc.) just in case. You could try warm concentrated HCl. The Ti (I've only tried it on other Ti and not Oakley's X-metals) should be fine, but the stainless screw will corrode and dissolve.

Mildly related, here's what a drilled out R2 screw look like. Silly thing jammed in an R2 and had to be extracted

PhotoGrid_1480826432143.jpg

Finally fixed it after a few hours of solid work... All thanks to someone's DIY handy work and made the partially drilled screw to bind with the partially drilled frame. It really doesn't get worst than that for any jammed screw. :punish:

PhotoGrid_1484228372357.jpg
PhotoGrid_1484228326086.jpg
PhotoGrid_1484229864401.jpg

PRO TIP: Don't DIY fix jammed screws unless you're prepared to pay for an expensive repair bill at twice the normal rate for a pro to fix up your mess. :headbang:

Nose bridge is refinished into late gen plasma and the other parts are original titanium finish that are yet to be refinished

Kuddos for the patience......... don't you just hate it when people give you jobs like that that they could have avoided if they would have done it the right way in the first place.

Kuddos for the patience......... don't you just hate it when people give you jobs like that that they could have avoided if they would have done it the right way in the first place.

That is absolutely true. A typical 5 minute job to remove a jammed screw turned hours to do because once it's badly tampered with, you can't even distinguish the screw from the frame

I'm all for DIY attempts up to the point of bringing out drills. Once it's partially drilled (especially incorrectly), it complicates the problem exponentially

Back