• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 xmetal generations

fredam2008

I should Work at Oakley
AUPH
Hi All, just newbie question and appreciate all your inputs :)
I recently purchased my 2nd R1 xmetal which I believe this is early 1st gen because of the squared stem. However, I noticed couple of things with this early gen, that its arm tips (where temple shocks are meet) are rounded than the later gen which is more pointed; and also the width is much wider than later gen 1, even though I put size 25 temple shocks rubber. Is this how early (squarish) and later (roundish) gen 1 are main distinctions as well?

Photos attached below. note, early gen is on the left and bottom of the photos.

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

Nice observation...
I have never noticed this myself but there does seem to be an almost imperceivable difference.
It can probably be accounted for due to the extra work put into later pairs to smooth out the finish. Your early pair does seem to be in a more 'raw' state....

Hi All, just newbie question and appreciate all your inputs :)
I recently purchased my 2nd R1 xmetal which I believe this is early 1st gen because of the squared stem. However, I noticed couple of things with this early gen, that its arm tips (where temple shocks are meet) are rounded than the later gen which is more pointed; and also the width is much wider than later gen 1, even though I put size 25 temple shocks rubber. Is this how early (squarish) and later (roundish) gen 1 are main distinctions as well?

Photos attached below. note, early gen is on the left and bottom of the photos.

View attachment 833146

View attachment 833147

View attachment 833149
You are becoming a prolific collector now Fred! I expressed a similar observation on here a couple of weeks ago with the frame colour variations

IMG_20210201_152215.jpg

Back