• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R2 Lens Removal

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
Tried searching for this but couldn't get a proper answer. I just got a set of R2s, and while the frame is in great condition, the lenses are so-so (wearable but scratched). I've already got the T5 torx screwdriver, but when I try to remove the screw, it seems that the screwdriver head just keeps skipping. I did ask the previous owner if he ever tried to remove the screws and he said he never even tried, I also noticed that there was some filth in between the screw and the frame (could this be rust?). Finally, it is also worth mentioning that the T5 screwdriver I got is one of the cheaper versions (the little ones with the cheap plastic handle $9 worth) originally sold as a T5 for cellphone fixers, so I'm not sure if the screwdriver'd head might be too short to actually get to the screw head (I doubt this, but it could be possible). Any ideas of what could be causing this? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Pics coming in a few minutes

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

I used wiha torx screw driver and never had a problem. If you insert the bit into the screw and there is play to the left and right then you don't have the right size and I would stop using it.

There is the rust possibility or the little O ring that's in there might be stuck somehow. I would seek assistance before stripping the screw as they are hard to obtain.

The size is T5 correct? I tried this screwdriver with a splice I have (also uses T5) and worked perfectly. I was surprised when it didn't work with the R2

I believe so, or the previous own tried and semi stripped the screws. I would invest in a quality screw driver and attempt once more. Or send them to a subject matter expert and see if they can hook you up.

Im pretty sure xmetals use t6 sized screws. Might be the problem.

Yeah earstems are T6 just like all othe X metals. But R2s are weird, I wasn't able to get a new T5 screwdriver today, so I'll have to see if the local home mart has any T5 available

Yeah earstems are T6 just like all othe X metals. But R2s are weird, I wasn't able to get a new T5 screwdriver today, so I'll have to see if the local home mart has any T5 available

You're really better off getting a wiha. Sometimes a quality precision driver can free a partially stripped screw, while a cheap one can make it worse. $300 sunglasses are worth a $10 screwdriver.

Then if it's rusted tight, give it a shot of WD40 first, then ensure you clean the residue off the lenses, etc afterwards.

Back